Towing & Hauling

F150 Fx4 Supercrew 4x4 towing question

Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 Fx4 Supercrew 4x4 towing question

Hello from a total newbie when it comes to hauling a trailer. We have a 2006 F150 Fx4 Supercrew 4x4 with a 5.4 Triton engine. We just bought a 35ft Keystone Outback travel trailer. The dry weight of the trailer is 7300lbs. We had added the weight distribution system and the anti-sway bar as well as the required brake control to the F150. Our maiden voyage will be driving from North Carolina to Indiana across the West VA mountains. Some of our friends are telling us they are "scared" for us that the truck won't make it. And of course now I am freaking out. My husband says that we will be fine as long as we don't push it and drive smart. I wish I was as confident. I need some advice. Is he correct or are our friends correct? We are supposed to leave in two weeks. Help. I am a nervous wreck.
Thanks

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 PM
You should be perfectly fine, you've added the trailer brake system to help with slowing you down, as well as the proper towing system (hitch and anti-sway) set-up.

You didn't mention whether the truck came with the towing package? It includes additional transmission cooling, if it DOESN'T have the factory tow package, it would be a good investment to add an add-on transmission cooler because of the extra load.

THAT SAID, I'm confident your husband would've added one if it wasn't on the truck already. My 2003 FX4 came with the factory towing package

Old 06-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll be overweight on the truck for sure, because I'll bet you aren't gonna be taking a 'dry' trailer on that trip..

Question is how do you feel about being overweight? Some don't mind and other's won't have anything to do with it..

That's a bigger trailer than I'd tow with my F150, but that's just me.. I've been towing trailers for 30+ years and have been overweight a lot of times and this was back when I didn't know any better, so I just towed it and always made it to my destination.. This was for work and I'd haul equipment trailers from job site to job site, most times from one coast to the other..

Until you know what it's like for you, it's hard to say if you'll be okay or not?

Good luck no matter what!

Mitch

Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys. My biggest fear is damaging the vehicle with a too heavy load. I don't care if we are the "slowest turtle" on the road as long as we are safe. I am trying to find out if there is anything else we can add to the F150 to make it easier on us and the truck. I think it came with the factory towing package but I am not sure. I have contacted the Ford dealership to try to find out.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by NCnewbie
Hello from a total newbie when it comes to hauling a trailer. We have a 2006 F150 Fx4 Supercrew 4x4 with a 5.4 Triton engine. We just bought a 35ft Keystone Outback travel trailer. The dry weight of the trailer is 7300lbs. We had added the weight distribution system and the anti-sway bar as well as the required brake control to the F150. Our maiden voyage will be driving from North Carolina to Indiana across the West VA mountains. Some of our friends are telling us they are "scared" for us that the truck won't make it. And of course now I am freaking out. My husband says that we will be fine as long as we don't push it and drive smart. I wish I was as confident. I need some advice. Is he correct or are our friends correct? We are supposed to leave in two weeks. Help. I am a nervous wreck.
Thanks

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/200...pecifications/

Your trailer weight is right at the max not loaded. FYI your truck GCWR is 14,757 lbs. providing you have the super crew 4x4 with 3.73 gears. You are at about 2,000 lbs of wiggle room for cargo and passenger weight. Drive through a recycling place with a ramp scale so you and your fam can get weighed, make sure all fluids are topped off so you have a exact measurement. Get a printout I case the local authorities do not believe you, if you are suspected of being over weight you will be grounded and. Or allowed to move until you are no longer over weight. Also FYI if your husband does not have a class a non commercial he cannot exceed 15,000lbs (at least here in Cali). Hope this info helps.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by NCnewbie
Thanks guys. My biggest fear is damaging the vehicle with a too heavy load. I don't care if we are the "slowest turtle" on the road as long as we are safe. I am trying to find out if there is anything else we can add to the F150 to make it easier on us and the truck. I think it came with the factory towing package but I am not sure. I have contacted the Ford dealership to try to find out.
Do a coolant flush with a new thermostat, t trains flush with back flushing the torque converter and a rear diff service would put you in a great spot. Also a airbag kit for the rear would help immensely, not that helps auto level the ride. The link I posted above will help but only you know what equipment your truck has, I was roughly estimating based on the limited info of the gearing and wheelbase options. Overweight is an issue with braking and accelerating, both have a equal relationship so it's important to know the limits of your truck.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:52 AM
you should also flush the brake system before hauling that trailer through the mountains - old brake fluid will have absorbed moisture and is more likely to boil due to hot brakes.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:19 AM
You probably won't break anything, but as stated you are very close if not exceeding the capacity of any 1/2 ton truck. Your salesman who sold you that big trailer did you a major dis-service. Most 1/2 ton trucks do well towing at or below 5000lbs. I know, I know, people do it all the time. But if you were ever able to tow that camper behind a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel you would understand what I am talking about. They pull that load with ease while the 1/2 ton will struggle. Always remember maximum speed on any trailer is 65mph. Don't get suckered by others passing you. Take your time and have a safe trip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 Fx4 Supercrew 4x4 towing question