Towing & Hauling

Thoughts on this car hauler

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on this car hauler

Hey guys, I've been looking around for an open car hauler and have read alot of good reviews about the Sloan Kwik Load.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/5368208708.html

I found this one searching around and wanted some opinions. It appears to be in good shape, but I'm not sure if it's worth 3k or not considering its a 2001. Thoughts?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
A while back I bought, about 5 years ago, I bought a used car trailer for about $800 and transferred ownership. I spent about a month restoring it. I put all new brakes on it, new bearings, new tires and rims, new trailer breakaway system, new high output LED lights, and rewired the whole thing myself. Along with paint and other body work. I probably put about $1,000 into it along with the time to get it roadworthy.

Here's a a picture of it with my tractor on it:

With that said, what makes me worried is that it has never been registered or most importantly titled. That could mean a number of things... most importantly it could've been stolen.

Only way out of it, is if you find the original owner (which is sounds from the CL ad, that it might be the original owner) and get the original receipts of purchase. Then you might be able to title it and register it. I know in NYS it is a nightmare to do anything without a title and/or registration. Not sure how it is in other states.

Now for the other item I noticed was sparse was lighting... I know for certain widths, you are required to have extra lighting on the rear. Also I notice that it's missing the amber and red lighted side markers too. Just seems like that trailer would be a target for people running into it at night.

Last edited by ManualF150; 12-26-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added more info about lighting.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Dassar
Hey guys, I've been looking around for an open car hauler and have read alot of good reviews about the Sloan Kwik Load.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/5368208708.html

I found this one searching around and wanted some opinions. It appears to be in good shape, but I'm not sure if it's worth 3k or not considering its a 2001. Thoughts?
A couple of things I noticed right off that should be noted. The trailer retails for $4250 new now. I suspect that in 2001 price was close to $3000 new. Yes it is in good shape, but it is a 14-15 year old trailer. It will need tires (more than 5 years old) and need grease seals and hopefully not brakes from grease seal failure from being stored. Pretty good guess that the break-a-way battery is probably also toast. These trailers are sought after for low clearance car people. So ultimately you need to determine if the price is right for you. I'm in the trailer business but if I was interested in that trailer as Joe Public, I would make sure they have a clear title in hand and offer in the $2k range for price.

It is a unique design, most standard tilt design trailers will have heavier axles and frame and be cheaper for a trailer of that age.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 12-27-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the input fellas, I was seeking this trailer due to the low clearance of my mustang, but the guy never replied to my inquires anyways. Guess I'll keep my eye out for another. Thanks again

Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Go figures. That's one thing that irks me about people that post on CL.

The guy who I bought my trailer from did his own Mustang restoration work and modifications. It is a low-deck trailer perfect for lowered cars using a set of 8' ramps.

Not as nice as the one in the CL ad.

Now it serves it life sitting indoors... most of the time only being used an equipment hauler and occasionally a garbage hauler. Never had to use it as a car hauler yet. But give it time.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this car hauler