Towing & Hauling

2014 Eco towing solved!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Eco towing solved!

FYI for those whose trucks came with the factory hitch.

I have the factory hitch rated at 5k dead weight and 10,500 weight dist. I can't use the w.d. hitch with an alum trailer. Found Torklift's Superhitch F1005H with 8k dead weight and 15k with weight dist hitch. Nestles under the factory hitch so now I'll have 2. Easy bolt on install.

LeeV

Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm

The 5k limitation has far more to do with the fact that you are unweighting the front tires than with the hitch itself. A WDH causes far more stress on the hitch itself than just the ball attached. Unless you are doing something to reduce rear suspension squat and lifting of the front end, you haven't really done yourself any favours...regardless what hitch you've bolted on.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 FX4 Eco hitch

Actually, I was told by the Curt hitch folks (who don't make the Torklift) that it has an equal amount to do with length/weight of the vehicle and how/where the hitch is mounted. That's why there are hitches available (including a 10k from Curt) that are bolt on for the exact same vehicle as mine without the factory hitch.

Originally Posted by tcp2
The 5k limitation has far more to do with the fact that you are unweighting the front tires than with the hitch itself. A WDH causes far more stress on the hitch itself than just the ball attached. Unless you are doing something to reduce rear suspension squat and lifting of the front end, you haven't really done yourself any favours...regardless what hitch you've bolted on.

Quick Reply: 2014 Eco towing solved!