Towing & Hauling

electric brake help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric brake help needed

I am a new member to the forum. I have a 2005 F150 Super Crew w factory tow. I am installing an electronic brake control. I put in the relay that came in the glove box. I also checked for the fuses that were posted in the sticky for my truck. I have everything working at the 7 way connector but I have no power feeding the brake control. The only thing working in the plug under the column is the wire from the brake pedal. Any suggestions? This really has me stumped. First plug in I've never had work. Thanks in advance for the help-

Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CT_Lariat
I have everything working at the 7 way connector but I have no power feeding the brake control.
You will need a helper. Using a test light or meter, when someone engages the brake controller do you get any juice on the 7 pin plug at the electric brakes? (looking at the truck plug- 5 o'clock position)

If so it sounds like the issue is in the trailer or trailer plug.

If not we need to look at the truck

Originally Posted by CT_Lariat
The only thing working in the plug under the column is the wire from the brake pedal.
Are you using Ford's or an after-market wiring harness?
Just for reference on color wires and what they are supposed to be doing.

Check Continuity and make sure your have a good ground on the harness.
(White for after-market and factory)
The brake line feed is red for after-market and should only be hot when brake pedal is depressed. (green for factory harness)
The trailer brake output should only be hot-respective to brake controller settings when brake controller is engaged (blue for factory and after-market)
Lastly the battery feed should always be hot.(red for factory and black for after-market)

On the factory harness there will also be a brown wire which is not used. It is for illumination... like the dash light.

Quick Reply: electric brake help needed