Towing & Hauling

Ordering an F150, great towing capacity, tight with payload

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering an F150, great towing capacity, tight with payload

I'm planning on ordering a Ecoboost Supercrew with 5.5 box, 4wd, 3.73, max tow, off road package. I drove one similarly equipped at my dealer the other day and loved it.

The GVWR on the truck as I want it equipped is 7650, GVWR on the trailer is 7600 which puts the GCWR at 15,250. The rated GVWR from Ford is 17,100 which I will be well under that amount by almost 2000 pounds.

The Ford info says the max payload is 1900 pounds but the door sticker on the similarly equipped one that I drove was 1593, probably because of all the options. The tongue weight for my trailer is suppose to be 950 pounds with propane tanks full. However, other stuff in the trailer will push that up a little bit.

With going with a Propride or Hensley weight distributing hitch, I'm adding another 200 pounds of tongue weight. With my wife and I in the vehicle along with bikes on a rack over the bed, bed cover and a couple of honda 2000 watt generators. I will be right at the 1600 pound payload capacity.

I sure wish that Ford would offer the heavy payload package with the short box and also with the other options (can't get HID lights for example) but unfortunately they don't.

I'm not willing to step to an F250 and don't feel I need it for the towing ability, only to give me a more breathing room with payload. An F250 is just not what I want for a daily driver.

My other consideration is to either order it with the LT tire upgrade or go ahead with p metric standard tires and change them out for LT tires when I get it. The factor LT option is only for load range C. Seems very limited with finding a higher load range tire in the 18" size.

Any thoughts or suggestions on all of this would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At least you are going in knowing that you'll be close on payload...

You are correct about what Ford says the 'payload' is going to be and what you actually end up with on the door jamb sticker.. Ford is using a totally stock, bare bones truck for their figures.. The sticker is as it rolled out the door.

If you end up being a tad over GVWR, it's not going to end the world...

Not sure what the optional LT tire package costs, but I think the C's should have enough payload that exceeds your rear axle GWR anyway, so they should be fine..

I run C's on my truck, but they are only 16", so I can get them in just about any size for a lot cheaper than those 18's will cost..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Definitely go with the LT tires. The sidewalls are stiffer (higher ply rating). You get less squat and less bounce as you go down the road. Range C seems to be sufficient for me. You will feel a firmer ride but you will also get better handling IMO.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
By the way, you are ordering a great choice for towing. I've got an FX4 with Eco and Max Tow. We pull a 5,500 pound RV trailer. Its ability to hold 6th gear in hilly terrain is nothing short of amazing.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
By the way, you are ordering a great choice for towing. I've got an FX4 with Eco and Max Tow. We pull a 5,500 pound RV trailer. Its ability to hold 6th gear in hilly terrain is nothing short of amazing.
Happy to hear. I'll be pulling a bit more with 28' Airstream, 7600 GVWR which I'm still well under the GCWR even if the trailer is close max load.

The F150 is now ordered. Now it is just be patient waiting for it to arrive.

Quick Reply: Ordering an F150, great towing capacity, tight with payload