Towing & Hauling

New camper purchase on the horizon need opinion??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby-GT-500
Do your self a favor and weigh your truck with you in it and a full tank of gas. Then look at your door tag. It shows GVRW the tire tag will show the weight you gan add to truck. You will have 26-36 gal tank you need to figure this into your weight. If you have a rock yard or truck stop near by with a scale take your truck their. You probably need more truck. I made the same mistake looking at the max tow and not the GVRW of the truck. The truck will probably handle the weight but will your tires? Is it worth it to have a failure with your family in the vehicle? I just made the decision and got rid of my 150 yesterday for a 250. Didn't want to but if I had my outback 280 RS completely loaded with an ATV and water I will be more than 1200 lbs over GVRW of the truck. The truck will pull that load with no trouble but the weight on the axels and tires could cause a problem. Don't want to look back after a serious accident and say I should have had a heavier truck. Remember the trailers usually come in heavier than that state. Best to weight the trailer as well if you do purchase it. They also have tags. If you look at the load carrying figure you may be surprised as they usually under build the trailers and put lighter axels on them to get the 1/2 ton towable rating. So if you load it the way you want including water weight and batteries propane and everything else you put in it, most trailers are over weight for their specs. Again tires and axels will be stressed and trailer tire suck anyway.

Good luck
I made a trip to my local dump for my father in law and asked at the scale what my truck weighed with me in it and it was 6220lbs and the truck had just over 3/4 tank of fuel. My GVWR is 7700lbs not 7200 so going by the scales weight, i have 1780lbs left for payload and even the yellow sticker on my driver door says i have 1700lbs for payload so the scale was pretty close..Not sure what size truck you had but mine is the 157" wheelbase Supercrew with 6.5' bed and Max tow pkg.I do agree with you on the tires and I will be getting some E rated Lt tires in the near future. Also we never go dry camping so i will never be filling the water tank which is 43 gal.= 350lbs saved. Like i said before, i know i am close to my payload # but not over. I don't understand why some people think i will be well over??

Last edited by Kevin O.; 03-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin O.
Please explain to me how you figure i will be well over my payload and rear gross axle rating??? I am almost ready to go and buy this trailer and i thought i have done all the math correctly and even though i am close to my limits i am still under. Being conservative i figured 1100lbs for tongue weight to be safe .Then I added 350lbs for the wife and kids. I will only have a couple chairs and a cooler in the bed of truck(60lbs?) I use to put are bikes in the truck but the new trailer has a rear hitch for my bike rack.So, tongue weight(1100lbs) + wife and kids(350lbs) +chairs and cooler(60lbs) = 1510lbs. That is being conservative because we never will load the trailer to its max 8200lb rating. My rear axle rating is 4050lbs. So please tell me what i am missing before i sign on the dotted line and make a multi thousand dollar mistake..
Don't panic!! You did do your homework and the numbers you posted from the door sticker and from the scale give you ample wiggle room. Don't let others opinions change the facts as you know them.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM
we never go dry camping so i will never be filling the water tank which is 43 gal.= 350lbs saved. Like i said before, i know i am close to my payload # but not over.
I would factor full tanks into your math. You never know when you may need to travel with full tanks because you can't dump or whatever. If the trailer puts you over with full tanks, then it's too much trailer for the truck

Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 AM
I made a trip to my local dump for my father in law and asked at the scale what my truck weighed with me in it and it was 6220lbs and the truck had just over 3/4 tank of fuel. My GVWR is 7700lbs not 7200 so going by the scales weight, i have 1780lbs left for payload and even the yellow sticker on my driver door says i have 1700lbs for payload so the scale was pretty close..Not sure what size truck you had but mine is the 157" wheelbase Supercrew with 6.5' bed and Max tow pkg.I do agree with you on the tires and I will be getting some E rated Lt tires in the near future. Also we never go dry camping so i will never be filling the water tank which is 43 gal.= 350lbs saved. Like i said before, i know i am close to my payload # but not over. I don't understand why some people think i will be well over??
My truck had the 5.5" bed. I guess that is the difference. If you don't take water and watch the weight you may be alright. I always dry camp. Like being by our selves in the forest. My Outback 280RS has the wheels placed further back on the frame. It also has a rear king slide out and a rear kitchen and rear fresh water tank, all to off set the weight of an ATV loaded in the front. It is rated at hauling up to 1,000lbs in the front. This would add way too much tongue weight for my F150 at 7200 gross. As it was this trailer was nocking my truck around something fierce. I mean real pucker factor. I needed more tongue weight as I do not have an ATV at this time. I bought this trail with the thought of buying an ATV in the future. Best laid plans right!! You may want to check where the water tank is on the frame of the trailer as it may effect your towing if it is not filled. My trailer would pull better on an empty fresh tank, but that would be different if it were in front of the axels.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by canadian_screw
I would factor full tanks into your math. You never know when you may need to travel with full tanks because you can't dump or whatever. If the trailer puts you over with full tanks, then it's too much trailer for the truck
All the figures I worked out were based on GVWR of the trailer. The only choice now is if I want to go with the Equal-i-zed hitch or spend the extra $$$ and get the ProPride hitch....

Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
All the figures I worked out were based on GVWR of the trailer. The only choice now is if I want to go with the Equal-i-zed hitch or spend the extra $$$ and get the ProPride hitch....
If you did your math off of the trailers gvwr you should ok. My dad bought a reese hitch with built in sway control for his new trailer, he loves it. It cost him about $550 though

Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Just pulled my Outback 280RS with my new F250 Diesel. Love the truck but I miss my 150. This trailer sucks! Would not recommend it to anyone. It still sways with no ATV loaded in the front and rear water tank filled, although it is much better with the added length and weight of the 250. I probably need another 500-600lbs in the front of the RV to settle it down. Did I already say this Outback Sucks? Well I meant it!!! If anyone is buying an Outback pay very close attention to the weight distribution of the trailer.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I think you'll be fine also. I would swap out the P tires to LT first chance I got and take your time getting where you're going.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I am looking at about the same TT, would a 2012 ecoboost, 6.5' bed, Max Tow, and HD payload Package be sufficient for towing these weights?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jasperville
I am looking at about the same TT, would a 2012 ecoboost, 6.5' bed, Max Tow, and HD payload Package be sufficient for towing these weights?
I certainly hope so, because im doing it with a 2011 Ecoboost, 6.5' bed, and max tow !!!!!!

Last edited by Kevin O.; 03-19-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: New camper purchase on the horizon need opinion??