Towing & Hauling

Towing package max

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I don't know about you, but for me, If I was driving a Supercrew and pulling 8k lbs, I would be a bit worried. For the amount of $$$ that supercrew cost you, why didn't you look into a SuperDuty??? Yes, the Supercrew will pull it but you're at the very top of it's abilities. Don't let those horses of yours gain any weight About your hitch, I'm pretty sure you've got a class III. I know on my SuperDuty I had the option of upgrading to the class IV But I don't remember any option like that w/the F150 trucks.

Which engine do you have??? 4.6 or 5.4????
Also, were you able to get the 7700 Payload Group?? If not, then I would tell you to not pull that 8k lbs.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 01-24-2001).]

Old 01-24-2001, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the factory hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs IF you install some kind of load-leveling/equalizer bars. Also make sure the drawbar & ball can handle the load. Finally, be sure you don't exceed the GAWR, GVWR, or GCWR for your truck (or trailer).

Old 01-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Wink

I just ordered an 4x2 SuperCrew with the 5.4L V8 with the towing package. The rating for the 4x2 is 8000# and the 4x4 with the 5.4L V8 is 7600#. The 7700# payload group isn't available in the SuperCrew.

I believe that if you have the hitch welded to the frame that will increase it to be a class IV, don't quote me on this. The real problem is the ball connecter that goes into the hitch receiver. What is it's rating?

I plan on being able to haul 7000# with my 4x2 SuperCrew. This won't be long hauls but should do the job on the short haules.

Old 01-24-2001, 10:47 PM
Exclamation

Just remember that these are the MAX tow ratings for a plain-jane, empty truck. Add XLT trim, fuel, passengers, & stuff and watch your tow/haul capacities drop significantly. I towed a 7000# load once with my regular-cab long-bed F150 w/5.4 & tow pkg. It was a major strain taking off and since the trailer didn't have brakes, it was just scary trying to stop! Add another "cab" and I'd sure hate to pull that kind of load on a regular basis even with trailer brakes. On the other hand, my SD does a much better job with both moving & stopping that weight.

Be safe.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 01-25-2001, 12:51 AM
Question Towing package max

I just ordered a Supercrew XLT 4x4 with the towing group, ORP, and 5.6 engine. Build date is 19 FEB - can't wait!! The question I have is does the factory towing hitch pull the 8,000 lbs, or do I need to make any changes when I pick it up? Is it a Class 3, or 4 ? I want to start towing my horse trailer right away, but don't want to die !!
Thanks

Old 01-25-2001, 09:16 AM
I tow a 7000Lb gvwr 31 foot trailer. I only just got the Supercrew in the late fall but plan to do some long distance towing next summer. We towed the same trailer with my 98 4.6L XLT Supercab about 4000 kilometers in one trip last summer and did as much as 1100 kilometers in one LONG day. I have had no problems but realize I was running everything to the max with the 4.6L. There are pictures in the towing section under the topic on "pictures of your rigs". The 98 had a towing capacity of 7000lb and the new Supercrew has a capcity of 8000lb. If you are ordering do not go with 17" wheels or 4x4. Each of these will cost you 500lb of towing capacity. Everyone will till you to go with a superduty for this size of trailer but I only get 4 to 5 weeks off a year and the other 47 to 48 weeks I use the truck for work and lots of highway driving. This supercrew is the best possilble combination work /play vehicle I think you can get.

nomo,
You have to have proper equipment to pull this kind of weight and that includes the brakes required by law. We ran into one emergency situation last year and had to lock on all the brakes. Without the trailer brakes we would have jackknifed or rearended a truck. I will never pull thus kind of weight without checking the brakes. I have pulled 4000lb without brakes and that also would be illegal.

barngoddess,
You would need a weight distribution hitch. We use these on camper trailers. I don't know if you use these on horse trailers as well?

------------------
2001 Silver XLT 2x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 3.55LS Tow Package & Cab Steps

Mods: K&N Filter, LoRider by Raider Fiberglass Tonneau

Tow: 31FT. Glendette Deluxe Camper Trailer

recent memory: 1998 F150 XLT SC 4.6l

Old 01-26-2001, 07:25 PM
That's a BIG 10-4 on having the proper equipment.

The weight I pulled was a medium-sized Bobcat that a friend had rented. He was supposed to get the "small" one, but didn't. Drove all of 5 miles with the very-extremely illegal & dangerous trailer that the rental place provided (believe it or not!) Scared *****-less all the way.

My point is that one shouldn't be travelling at the limits of their vehicle frequently- as a lot of people do. If you can afford a new truck, try to get more than enough. That's why I got the SD when I started looking at travel trailers. I'd already done the F150 towing 7000+ lbs thing & didn't like it.

Be safe.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Quick Reply: Towing package max