Towing & Hauling

Auto trailer for coast 2 coast move

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Auto trailer for coast 2 coast move

I am preparing to move from California to Georgia sometime in the next 90 days. I'm going to be driving a U-haul and I want to tow my truck behind it to keep the miles off. The average car trailers from U-haul don't look big enough to haul my truck. Has anyone towed their F150 before? Does U-haul have trailers for this? I've thought about buying a good used trailer instead of renting but I don't know what to look for. Any help is appreciated.

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
  • GY 305/70X16 Wrangler ATS Tires
  • American Eagle Series 146 Chrome Wheels
  • Ravin Z-55 3" Single In/Out Exhaust System
  • WMS Velocity Tube
  • K&N Filter
  • Blaupunkt Houston CD Player
  • Blaupunkt PCxt573 5x7/6x8 Speakers
  • Pioneer TS-A6815 6x8 Speakers
  • Clear Corner Lenses
  • PIAA Super White Bulbs
  • GTS Hood Deflector
  • Catch-All Floor Mats
  • Tinted Windows
  • Bull Ring Retractable Tie-Downs
  • University of Georgia Hitch Cover "GO DAWGS!"
  • GA State Flag Plate [><] "Keep It Flyin!"
Coming Soon:
  • Genuine Steel Step Bars (ordered 24 Jan 00)
  • Clear Tail Lights (NOT Altezza! Yack!)
  • Herculiner

Pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3401&a=8556922

Old 01-25-2001, 02:49 PM
Do you have that much stuff that you need a U-haul? I would rent the largest enclosed trailer you can between that and your truck you should be able to haul what you could in a u-haul truck. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Old 01-25-2001, 08:26 PM
If you do buy a trailer Uncle Sam will pay you for the cost (weight of trailer + your belongings) of moving it, if you rent one you will only get paid for the weight of your belongings. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-26-2001, 09:11 AM
Thumbs up

When I sold my F150, the guy buying it flew into SC and we met him at the airport(I'm in NC). I wanted to present my truck in the very best way (you know make a grand impression) and I was able to have my truck on the back of a high/low 18 wheeler trailer/CAT truck waiting for him when he got off the plane. This would be a bit of over kill for you though
Why do you not want to put miles on the truck??? Every time we've had to move cross country, we've drove. (military moves too) Although the time we went from Parris Is SC to Widbey Is WA during Nov was an eye opening experience for this Southern girl. Good luck with your trip. Personally, I'd tell you to drive the truck and rent the U-haul trailer. (But that's just me)

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

Old 01-26-2001, 11:22 AM
tina,
As I was telling the guys over in the General forum, the truck is going to be my primary work vehicle when I get to GA. I tend to baby my vehicles and the new job is going to be rough on it. Lots of miles. I also have WAY to much stuff to tow with it and will be getting at least a 20 ft rental truck anyway so why not put my baby up on a trailer? Like 2000Lariat said, Uncle Sam is paying for this so I'm not skimping. I did that on the last move and he pulled one over on me!

Old 01-28-2001, 07:41 AM
Thumbs up

I understand!!! Try going to the different rental companys and talking w/them. Tell them your plans and find out which has the best set-up for you. Good luck w/your trip. And make very sure you check out that rental truck/trailer very well before you start, I've seen so many of the bigger ones stranded on the side of the road from mechanical problems. And it's probably just a routine maintence item (like packing the wheel bearings on trailers or changing the oil) Sure, they are supposed to do all the maintenance but you would be the person on the side of the road broke down.

Old 01-30-2001, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The flat-bed carriers from u-haul I believe are rated for 6000 lbs... it should carry your truck with no problem. If you get a truck from them, like they said above, go over it with a fine-tooth comb. If there's anything you don't like about it, ask for a different one. Don't let them pass off the clunker on you.

-Joe-

Old 01-30-2001, 02:12 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

One word of caution! You do realize that if the truck you rent happens to be a GM it is inevitable that a photo of your big Ford 4x4 WITH a tow package being hauled on a trailer is going to end up on some Chebby site!

Old 01-30-2001, 02:50 PM
Raoul,
I had thought of that so I'm going to make sure the truck is NOT a GM. That way, no matter what it is, I can post a sign on the back that reads, "I'd rather pull a Ford than drive a Chevy!"

Quick Reply: Auto trailer for coast 2 coast move