Towing & Hauling

Beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Beating a dead horse

Ok, so the title says it all, however I've been searching and googling for a while and just need some info put in lamens terms. I have an 04 SCREW Lariat 4x4. 99.9% sure it has the tow package because under the hood it looks like there's a smaller radiator in front of the main radiator, transmission cooler maybe? Well I'm getting ready to head down to Georgia to pick up a trailer that I'm going to be using for my military PCS moves. I just had a digital trailer brake controller installed, and purchased a tongue and ball (I guess that's what they're called.)

My question is that on my rear bumper it's stamped carrying weight 5000 lbs, and i think it says distributed weight 9500 or 9700 lbs. My question is what creates the difference between the two? Is distributed when you use the kind of hitch that has the two weight distribution bars sticking out the sides? I've tried looking at the what do you tow thread and it doesn't look like too many people use them, even the ones that post pix of their TT.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Yes. The WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) allows you to have the best control of your trailer (especially if it has anti-sway) while distributing tongue weight to the tow vehicles front axle - promoting better steering, too. The best thing is the WDH allows you to haul heavier tongue weights. For example, your bumper probably has a max tongue of 500#, while an undistributed trailer weight (no WDH) on a 2" receiver is more like a tongue of 800 pounds, while a distributed trailer weight could be 1,100 pounds or more of tongue weight.

I've pulled travel trailers from 7,000 pounds down to my current 5,000 (average) travel trailer, and would never go without a WDH. But, I don't care for some of the idiot highway drivers amd care for the extra control. The biggest factor is with a 1/2 ton, the weight distribution helps handling, as well as allows more tongue weight of todays larger trailers - to be in spec. Look up a 2004 tow guide for a receiver spec, but if you are only bumper towing, you may be over the 500 pound bumper limit.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Thx for the info. I called a local dealership and the tech said that I didn't need a WD hitch as long as I didn't put over 1k of weight on the tongue? Anyways I'm looking into getting one installed, rather not take a risk, and the tech sounded like he had trouble explaining tow ratings.

Originally I was going to head down to Georgia today to pick up a 7/16 enclosed V-nose trailer that I ordered from allprotrailers.com but we here in Ky got slammed with a slow moving snow storm that swung more south than everyone expected. So I'll be heading down tonight once the roads get better. I figure my dog will enjoy the 20 hour round trip truck ride.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Nickdobby
Thx for the info. I called a local dealership and the tech said that I didn't need a WD hitch as long as I didn't put over 1k of weight on the tongue? Anyways I'm looking into getting one installed, rather not take a risk, and the tech sounded like he had trouble explaining tow ratings.

Originally I was going to head down to Georgia today to pick up a 7/16 enclosed V-nose trailer that I ordered from allprotrailers.com but we here in Ky got slammed with a slow moving snow storm that swung more south than everyone expected. So I'll be heading down tonight once the roads get better. I figure my dog will enjoy the 20 hour round trip truck ride.
41240 ( paintsville area ) is not that bad, you must live a good distance from me, even floyd and pike are pretty clear.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You have an under bumper receiver hitch, right? I'd still use WD bars if the tongue is over 500# or the trailer is over 5000#. I would not exceed 500/5000 on a bumper ball, PERIOD.

Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse