Towing & Hauling

Converting an 05 Expy to full tow package

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting an 05 Expy to full tow package

I'm looking at 05-06 Expeditions and some have tow packages and some dont. The ones without have a lot of other options I do like while the ones with tow packages are pretty barebones. I am pretty handy with a wrench (put in my Magnum Powers blower on my 01 Lightning in the parking lot at my old apartment) so my question is, does anybody know what it would take to convert an Expy without a towing package to one with a towing package? I have seen what is on the older Expy's but on the 05+ models I see conflicting reports about what it has. Some say there is a bigger alt, others say a better tranny cooler and radiator. I tried figuring it out by going to Autozone and getting a "replacement" alternator, but the funny thing is there was a 110 and 130 depending on a built-in navigation system or not. There was also no difference in radiators. Are things "beefy" enough on the newer ones that the only thing possibly needed is a better tranny cooler and 7pin wiring? If so, that would be great because it would really open up my options. Can somebody who has experience with the newer models confim for me?
-c

Old 09-07-2008, 02:34 AM
You'll need the tranny cooler, 7 pin wiring, and plug in a few relays and you're set.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I would also watch for the rear-end ratio. This is not easily changed.
I bought my receiver at U-Haul. They had the best price, including install.
Good luck

Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I have an 07 with the heavy duty tow package - bought it when the 08s were coming out and I will agree, there are not many Expeditions with the tow package out there. Mine was delaer transferred and was the only carbon metallic or white one left in the Southeast with the tow package when all the good incentives came out. Anyway, I went through this and the HD tow package, on the 2007 Expeditions, gets you a different radiator, the bigger automatic transmission cooler, the 7 pin wiring harness, the charge wire for a trailer battery ready to go, and all the relays and fuses installed. It really is not a big deal. Also in 2007 HD tow package expeditions got 3.73 gears and I can tell you with the 6 speed this thing pulls great. In 2008 3.31 is the standard gear and 3.73 are a $75 dollar option and well worht it in my opinion. There are a few discussions about htis over at ford-trucks.com

Quick Reply: Converting an 05 Expy to full tow package