Towing & Hauling

keep or trade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep or trade?

I have a 01 Supercrew and I got rear ended few weeks ago. The bed was tilted about 10 deg. The tow hitch took the brunt of the impact. I can see the frame is slightly bent where the hitch and frame mate, the hitch itself looks intact. I guess ford hitches are stronger than their frames? The truck itself drives fine at least nothing out of the ordinary driving. It's currently being fixed. My question is the frame compromised since it's been bent. I tow about once a month with approximately 4k load and safety is a concern when towing. As much as I love the truck and took the time to find the right one. I'm contemplating to trade for possibly a newer f150 or possibly going the super duty route. Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 PM
That really depends how it gets repaired. If it is just bent back straight I would trade it off. If the frame is strightened and then re-enforced it should be just fine.

Closely inspect the area of the frame between the front and rear spring mount as well as the spring saddle mounts themselves...these are commonly bent areas from collision. If these areas are bent there could also be damage to the t-case or tranny from the drive shaft pushing forward.

It sounds like it wasn't hit hard enough to damage those areas though.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
i just took it to the dealer so who knows what they'll do. it'll probably be done by the book. i'll take a look at it when i get it back.
when i did take a look at it, the spring mounts didn't look bent. the point of bend was at the front edge of the hitch. wish i took pics so a better judgement could be made.
the axle didn't look like moved forward. the bed itself is tilted so it looks like a dump truck now.
i did drive it after the accident for a couple days and it didn't drive any different.
thanks for the input

Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 PM
SuperDuty -King Ranch -Duelly!! Oh wait, that's just what I want

Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it was my truck, after the repair I'd have someone drive it while I followed in a chase vehicle.

I'd want to personally eyeball it going down the road to see how it tracked.

I've seen 'repaired' vehicles going down the road like a crab.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I cant believe a 01 with frame damage isnt being totaled.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
^My '99 got hit three weeks ago... $4800 damage...

They didn't total it, they fixed it.

Quick Reply: keep or trade?