Towing & Hauling

Will I kick myself towing a 6,000# Travel Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
How about a 16' boat?
Smoke, I was/am in the same boat as you. Driving unloaded 90% of the time (even more so now in the winter), yet still loving how it tows loaded, plus just the stupid power. I'm keeping my F-250 for the time being, as long as diesel stays cheap. And the 5" exhaust I just ordered wont' fit too well on an F-150
Cheap diesel? Where? It's around $3 here for diesel.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
Cheap diesel? Where? It's around $3 here for diesel.
Well, under $4 a gallon...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
glc
Received 764 Likes on 707 Posts
With oil over 90 bucks a barrel, it won't be long before both gas and diesel are 5 bucks..........

Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I pull my Jeep on an 18ft flat trailer. Trailer and Jeep weigh 7,250#. The truck pulls it just fine. It will not win a speed contest, but works good and is safe. Just make sure your truck is set up correctly to pull a trailer and you will have no problem.

Sure, a Super Duty would be nice to have, but it is not necessary unless you will use its capacities. That is the reason I did not get an F250. Towing less than 10% of the time and the trailer is below the recommended weight.

My truck has a 5.4, factory tow package, 3.73:1 gears, and is rated to 8,700# (9,200# if I went to 18" wheels. Go figure optional 20" wheels reduce the capacity by 500#).

See my gallery for a picture.

Glenn

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the actual use data you guys have provided. I am sure an F-150 will do my job, but I am as fickle as an old lady. I'll always find a reason to want what I don't have. That's human nature. Now, I am going through a stage where I'm thinking it's time to let go of "the one who dies with the most toys wins" and be resonable. Don't get me wrong, I don't try to outdo anyone but myself, and lately, I feel like the real boss may be thinking why in the !@#$% he lets me drive a truck that is actually overkill for a daily driver. Although, I have worked for him for about sixteen years. Just a comment here and there makes me think. Let's face it, I could realistically downgrade to a nice King Ranch F-150 and save the company about $10-12k, and look like a sacraficial lamb - maybe a hero. And, I'd still have one heck of a nice daily driver! As it was said above, I admit I don't really need a 3/4 ton for the 10% I will put it to use. It just so happens that over the past 8-9 years, the dieel F-250 has been more economical with my high mileage. And, believe it or not, the two 2005 and 2007 F-150's I mixed in didn't hurt the trade game at all. One would think we would have taken a bath on trading in and downgrading from an F-250 to an F-150, but each time we actually came out ahead. The big problem is that I spend too much time thinking about trucks. They are my passion. I actually need two or three in my garage to keep me satisfied.

Oh, King Ranch Glenn, that is one nice rig you have there. I agree with what you said. I just wish that the payload on an F-150 was a few hundred pounds more. I think I may wait to see what the 2009 redesign brings. I would think that with the likelyhood of the small diesel coming sometime, the 2009 will be beefed up enough to accept that chunk of iron mill (or graphite), which may allow me to haul a bit more that a loaded beer cooler with my family of four. The way my son eats, I may be analyzing F-150's for nothing by spring!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the fuel cost difference is only because diesel costs more than gasoline, as you get about the same mileage (non-towing) as a good F-150. I get 12--13mpg usually in my F-150. Fuel costs fluctuate so much (diesel less so) that i wouldn't rely on that much. You're really only getting a more comfortable ride when non-towing. Also, if you like your truck, I don't see why you don't just keep it for more than a year. There is more depreciation (costs) the first year than any other year of a vehicle's life. Keeping a truck for 2 or 3 years would save the company more money.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by APT
So the fuel cost difference is only because diesel costs more than gasoline, as you get about the same mileage (non-towing) as a good F-150. I get 12--13mpg usually in my F-150. Fuel costs fluctuate so much (diesel less so) that i wouldn't rely on that much. You're really only getting a more comfortable ride when non-towing. Also, if you like your truck, I don't see why you don't just keep it for more than a year. There is more depreciation (costs) the first year than any other year of a vehicle's life. Keeping a truck for 2 or 3 years would save the company more money.
While what you say may in fact be true, every trade from F-250 to the next year's same model identically equipped (or better) cost about $5,000 each time. That eliminated any expected costs for new tires, shocks, brakes, transmission services, coolant services, and other filter and fluid changes. With a high mileage truck, it does not take long to dip into the cost we experience to trade and make the $5,000 difference better to use as trade money than service on a 50-60k one year-old truck. On our downtrade to the first 2005 F150, we actually received a check back after rebates so we had a negative trade difference of about $500. Then, with our downtrade to a 2007 F-250 a couple years later, we actually traded for no trade difference. The following year (last) we traded up to this 2007 F-250 and actually received a trade value on the 2007 F-150 that was $1,000 less than we paid for it while buying the 2007 F-250 below invoice and cashing in on $5000 in incentives. Unfortunately, these types of deals are fading fast, but I make it my hobby to watch it closely, and my boss always is amazed, but grateful with my deals and rather dump a high mileage rig without having maintenance cost than keep it.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's outstanding! I pay pretty close attention to the new car deals and have taken adtangage of some. That's great for the last few years.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
glc
I'd seriously look at waiting till they stick a diesel in the 150, and then get one with the idea of running it till it drops.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I'd seriously look at waiting till they stick a diesel in the 150, and then get one with the idea of running it till it drops.
I'd like to, but after over 600 hours in the cab in just over five months, most likely over 2000 in a year, I get sick of them and need a change. It would be different if I logged 10-12,000 miles each year, but I almost live in mine. That's another reason I can't commit to a stripped 35mpg rice-burner for commuting.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Suspended
Last year I put 35,000 Miles on my 06 F-150

Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
glc
There are a lot of comfortable decent gas mileage cars out there for commuting. Nobody said you need a Prius.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by glc
There are a lot of comfortable decent gas mileage cars out there for commuting. Nobody said you need a Prius.
I agree. Maybe a Charger or an Impala would put me in the high 20's to low 30's, and would still be fun to drive. I like the idea of a Jetta TDI, but it really doesn't like me.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Smokewagun - Don't listen to those that tell you these trucks can't tow a 6,000 pound Travel Trailer. I have, essentially, the same trailer you do and we towed our combo all over the western U.S. this summer. We have been very close the the GVWR of the TT on a few occassions which is 6,000. Our truck handled everything we threw at it with relative ease.

I do admit I was skeptical when we started out... just like you... becasue I did not know what to expect. And several have mentioned the "properly equiped" provisio. I cannot emphasize this enough. What does this mean to me?
1. power... the 5.4 is a great engine for the tow combo
2. tow package... the built in hitch, 3.73 and trans cooler are a must
3. shoes... I highly recommend some quality tires built for the job
4. weight distribution and sway control... a new 1,000/10,000 Equal-i-zer
5. brake controller... Prodigy are great

With these bases covered your towing experience will be far from white knuckle. You will be amazed how well your rig will tow your TT. And I don't mean on the flats... I mean anywhere.

We took our combo all through the Rocky Mountains. Grades as much as 9% were somewhat common place in Colorado. Elevations as high as 12,000 feet but most were 4,000 to 7,000. Does the 5.4 work hard when it hits those grades? Sure! Should you be worried when you are in second gear, 3.000 rpm amd doing 35 mph? No. Thast where the pwer is. Let it find where it wants to be and be happy with the results. Very few rigs are bombing up those grades at the posted speed limit. Besides, if a few rigs back up behind you just pull over and let 'em go. Everyone expects to get stuck behind someone else when going up the mountain.

On the freeway the combo was simply great. No issues whatsoever. You may experience a little "pull" when semis pass you in the lane to your left... the air pressure wave they create tends to pull you into them as they go past. But this varies by vehicle, wheel base, and I think the tires used make a big difference as well. You learn to adjust to this real fast so it does not become an issue after a few experiences.

Main thing is expect to have a good time. I was expecting to have some "issues" and I didn't. SO, I could have had a better time had I known what I know now.

Enjoy... you have a great rig for towing your TT.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I have a 05 F150 XLT with the 5.4 and I pull a 31ft travel trailer. It does very well the hills are a little tough on the motor but for the most part it is fine.

Quick Reply: Will I kick myself towing a 6,000# Travel Trailer?