Towing & Hauling

Back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up lights

Any opinions on these?

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...ed_prod_ids=29

Looking for a little help on hooking up or camper etc.

And I need an excuse to use my uplifter switches.

(I would also like to know how I can use my uplifter swithes to turn on and off my trailer lights so I can say "thank you" as I pass truckers etc, anyone know how to do that? )

Old 09-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
(I would also like to know how I can use my uplifter swithes to turn on and off my trailer lights so I can say "thank you" as I pass truckers etc, anyone know how to do that? )
That's pretty easy. Use a standard automotive relay and splice terminals 30 and 87a into the trailer tail light wire on the truck using 87a for the truck side and 30 for the trailer and insulate terminal 87. The reason I state to connect it this way is if pin 87 were to accidently short to ground while you blink the lights it wouldn't pop the fuse by sending the trailer light feed to ground. The contact swings between 87a and 87 as the coil is powered with terminal 30 being the common. Then tie 85 to hot and 86 to ground. I can't remember off the top of my head if the upfitter switches supply power or a ground. If they supply power 85 to switch and 86 to ground. If they supply a ground tie 85 to a fused power (i.e. 12v trailer supply) and tie 86 to the switch. Clear as mud?

Or just do it the easy way, use the hazard lights.

Last edited by F.L.U.F.; 09-30-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by F.L.U.F.
That's pretty easy. Use a standard automotive relay and splice terminals 30 and 87a into the trailer tail light wire on the truck using 87a for the truck side and 30 for the trailer and insulate terminal 87. The reason I state to connect it this way is if pin 87 were to accidently short to ground while you blink the lights it wouldn't pop the fuse by sending the trailer light feed to ground. The contact swings between 87a and 87 as the coil is powered with terminal 30 being the common. Then tie 85 to hot and 86 to ground. I can't remember off the top of my head if the upfitter switches supply power or a ground. If they supply power 85 to switch and 86 to ground. If they supply a ground tie 85 to a fused power (i.e. 12v trailer supply) and tie 86 to the switch. Clear as mud?

Or just do it the easy way, use the hazard lights.
Thanks for the reply, I wish I understood it. I was thinking I could take the #3 Green wire and take it to the uplifter switch.

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Is that the same thing as you are saying?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:55 PM

No it doesn't exactly work that way. By that drawing #3 the green wire is the tail light wire. If the upfitter switch provides 12v when it is switched on if you tie into that wire it will supply 12v when the switch is turned on to both the trailer (which you want) and back feed everything upstream of the trailer connector on the truck (which you don't want). Then at night with the lights on that wire already has 12v supply so turning on the switch wouldn't have any effect but you are already backfeeding the switch wiring with the lights on. It would somewhat work but IMO you would need to isolate the two circuits using a couple of diodes.

What I posted before was for use at night by breaking the connection supplying the 12v to the marker lights. I was assuming you would just hit the parking lamp switch during the day.

If you want the upfitter switch to function both day and night you could use what I described with 1 change, you would tie terminal 87 to a fused 12v source, but I don't think this would give you quite the effect you are looking for. The marker lights would quickly flash as the 12v source switched from the marker light wire to the 12v supply. While it would give you a slight flash when you switch the upfitter switch on and another flash when you switched the upfitter switch off I don't think it would give you the desired on/off flash length an the marker lights would stay on all the time unless you switched the 12v supply to the relay. I would have to think for a while on how to make it work for day and night but I don't think you could do it with only one switch to completely black out the lights.

Did that explain it any better or did I just confuse you more? Personally I would just use the hazard lights, they work both day and night with one switch. You could wire it like the hazard lights work but it wouldn't black out any of the trailer lights and basically be like you stepped on the brake pedal to flash the lights or hit the hazards.

I make no warranty to the legalty of this info, use at your own risk. If done incorrectly there could be the possibility of loosing the trailer marker lights going down the road, a blown fuse or worse, a electrical fire or fried electronics.

Like I stated before, using the hazard light switch is a whole lot easier and it is already setup.

Last edited by F.L.U.F.; 09-30-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 PM

No it doesn't exactly work that way. By that drawing #3 the green wire is the tail light wire. If the upfitter switch provides 12v when it is switched on if you tie into that wire it will supply 12v when the switch is turned on to both the trailer (which you want) and back feed everything upstream of the trailer connector on the truck (which you don't want). Then at night with the lights on that wire already has 12v supply so turning on the switch wouldn't have any effect but you are already backfeeding the switch wiring with the lights on. It would somewhat work but IMO you would need to isolate the two circuits using a couple of diodes.

What I posted before was for use at night by breaking the connection supplying the 12v to the marker lights. I was assuming you would just hit the parking lamp switch during the day.

If you want the upfitter switch to function both day and night you could use what I described with 1 change, you would tie terminal 87 to a fused 12v source, but I don't think this would give you quite the effect you are looking for. The marker lights would quickly flash as the 12v source switched from the marker light wire to the 12v supply. While it would give you a slight flash when you switch the upfitter switch on and another flash when you switched the upfitter switch off I don't think it would give you the desired on/off flash length an the marker lights would stay on all the time unless you switched the 12v supply to the relay. I would have to think for a while on how to make it work for day and night but I don't think you could do it with only one switch to completely black out the lights.

Did that explain it any better or did I just confuse you more? Personally I would just use the hazard lights, they work both day and night with one switch. You could wire it like the hazard lights work but it wouldn't black out any of the trailer lights and basically be like you stepped on the brake pedal to flash the lights or hit the hazards.

I make no warranty to the legalty of this info, use at your own risk. If done incorrectly there could be the possibility of loosing the trailer marker lights going down the road, a blown fuse or worse, a electrical fire or fried electronics.

Like I stated before, using the hazard light switch is a whole lot easier and it is already setup.

That did make more sense. I swore I saw this topic here before where someone took the trailer running lights or tail lights and used only the uplifter switch to turn them on in the day or night....meaning that if he wanted the lights to work at all, they had to on from the switch not the plug itself.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:34 PM
To do that you would need to cut the wire and tie the upfitter switch to the plug. But in doing that the lights would only be on if the upfitter switch was on. I honestly wouldn't do that or split the line with a relay as I described, with many revisions, because if someone else used the truck or the next owner (unless you undid it) wouldn't know how to turn on the lights or if you are like me and have a senile moment and forget to turn on the switch your self.

I myself have wondered what I would use the upfitter switches for when I was looking at the SuperDuties and for a regular old pickum up I don't think I would have any use for them. Now for something like a wrecker I think I could use all of them, one to idle the engine up, one for the PTO, one for the beacon/strobe, and one for the work lamps.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 PM
To do that you would need to cut the wire and tie the upfitter switch to the plug. But in doing that the lights would only be on if the upfitter switch was on. I honestly wouldn't do that or split the line with a relay as I described, with many revisions, because if someone else used the truck or the next owner (unless you undid it) wouldn't know how to turn on the lights or if you are like me and have a senile moment and forget to turn on the switch your self.

I myself have wondered what I would use the upfitter switches for when I was looking at the SuperDuties and for a regular old pickum up I don't think I would have any use for them. Now for something like a wrecker I think I could use all of them, one to idle the engine up, one for the PTO, one for the beacon/strobe, and one for the work lamps.
I am going to put in those back up lights for switch one....I've seen them used for all kinds of stuff. By Pass's for video screens, bed lights, extra fog lights, marker light etc.

I want to use them, that's where they are there for. I am going to put some additional lighting in the bed one of these days.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Just use your hazard lights for "thanking" them. A lot of truckers use the hazard lights as well. 10-4

Quick Reply: Back up lights