Towing & Hauling

Any tips for towing in traffic with a 5speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips for towing in traffic with a 5speed?

I'll be towing about 5300lbs with my 4.2 and 5speed this weekend. Most of my trip will be interstate, but part of it will be thru the suburbs of Chicago. I know I'll have to sit in some traffic and do alot of stop and go. I don't want to get my clutch hot and cause it to start slipping. I'm sure when I come to a stop I should put it in neutral. Any tips for taking off and shifting? I know this can be done, I've seen several post about long trips and 5 speeds.
Thanks for any help.
Joe

Old 06-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't towed with a stick for some time, but depending on what your rear end gears are and your tire size, you might be in for some fancy clutch work!

If I remember, the only way to 'not' totally slip the clutch is to basically get the revs up and get the truck just starting to roll and then you have to basically let the clutch go... This would cause a herky-jerky start, but once rolling, you could then be smoother with the gears.... Or, you slip it until you have more speed and it's smoother, but you've heated up the clutch in a major way!

The hottest my auto trans gets is the last mile and a half to my house from the freeway! I can be on the road all day long towing at hwy speed and never see over 180*, but when I get off the freeway and get stopped at the 3 stop lights before my house my trans temp always moves up to 210* from it's previous 180* after the first light!

It usually does not go above that, but still! When I get home, I let it idle in N while I remove the WD bars and prep it for it's parking spot and the temp drops back down again then I use 4 lo to back it into it's spot....

But, none of that will apply to you!

I guess that's why the manuals have the lower tow ratings.....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Joes98F150
I'll be towing about 5300lbs with my 4.2 and 5speed this weekend. Most of my trip will be interstate, but part of it will be thru the suburbs of Chicago. I know I'll have to sit in some traffic and do alot of stop and go. I don't want to get my clutch hot and cause it to start slipping. I'm sure when I come to a stop I should put it in neutral. Any tips for taking off and shifting? I know this can be done, I've seen several post about long trips and 5 speeds.
Thanks for any help.
Joe
Just don't ride the clutch a lot while you're moving in stop and go traffic. It'll **** the people off behind you if you sit and wait for the light, instead of moving up a few feet if a gap opens ahead of you, but they aren't buying you a new clutch.

Just go ahead and let out on the clutch and don't waste time trying to be smooth when you take off. The best way to take off from a start, (and be the easiest on your clutch), is to revv the engine just a little, ease out fairly rapidly (keeping the engine rpm low), and as soon as the truck gets going fast enough that the engine won't shut off, release the gas petal and dump the clutch at the same time. This will allow the clutch to go ahead and hook up, instead of dragging until the wheel speed reaches engine rpm. I know you wouldn't do this with normal driving, but if you're doing a lot of stop and go with a trailer, this procedure will the the easiest on your CLUTCH, as far as heat goes....

Also, when you are shifting gears, be sure to match engine rpm exactly, release the clutch rapidly, and then re-apply the gas petal... This will help eliminate a small source of unnecessary slip.

Just remember, the more you slip the clutch, the hotter it gets. Sometimes it's better to just go ahead and dump the clutch whenever practical, to prevent too much heat from building up. If you're in traffic and start to smell the clutch burning, you might want to pull over and let it cool off before you continue.

I don't think you'll have any problems with your load, if you just use your head. Most semi trucks are manual, and look what they pull.

Last edited by chester8420; 06-21-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will use that information. My truck has 3.55 gears and is a regular cab 2 wheel drive. I'm buying a 57 chevy and I'm going to go get it this sunday. This is a one time deal, I don't plan on pulling this much weight this fa again. As far as I can tell my truck has never hauled or towed anything before. It had no hitch when I got it and it looks like there was never a ball on the bumper either. I have since installed a reese hitch.
Thanks again guys!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Most importantly: YOU NEED TRAILER BRAKES!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Naw...... The clutch will burn up long before he needs to stop!! ha, ha!!

Ok, serious now.... Zaairman makes an excelent point on the trailer brakes!

If the car hauler has functioning 'surge brakes' all you need to do is hitch up and go. If the car hauler is setup for electric brakes, then you will need to do a little more work.

You could probably 'get away' without any trailer brakes, but it won't be fun or safe and if you do find yourself in a prediciment where not having them comes into question, you will be the one held responsible for whatever happens!!

Sure, I've done it before and I got away with it, but that was a loooong time ago when things like that didn't matter as much or cared.... I would not do the same thing today by any means.....

Mitch

Old 06-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm renting a trailor from Uhaul and it has the surge brakes. I had thought about getting a two wheel dolly, but I would rather have the car all the way off of the ground. Of course the dolly would make for a lighter load, but I would have no brakes with that setup.
Thanks again guys.
Joe

Trending Topics

Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Here's another idea. As much as possible, anticipate the traffic. Roll up slow and try NOT to STOP. Momentum is everything. The clutch will be happier if you don't have to go from a dead stop. By the way, I've towed thousands of miles with a 5 speed with a hitch. WHA! WHA! WHA! Seriously, I've towed 10,000 miles with a 5 speed without any adverse effects whatsover to clutch or transmission; towed through the Rockies 3 times.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM
oh man, so I blew it. I meant to say WITHOUT A HITCH!!!! Oh well . .

Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
oh man, so I blew it. I meant to say WITHOUT A HITCH!!!! Oh well . .

Old 06-23-2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks again for reassuring me on the 5 speed. I'm alittle nervous, but I'll be ok. I've pulled loads before, just not with a manual.
Thanks again.
Joe

Old 06-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Joes98F150
Thanks again for reassuring me on the 5 speed. I'm alittle nervous, but I'll be ok. I've pulled loads before, just not with a manual.
Thanks again.
Joe
You won't have any problems, cause it sounds like you're a conservative driver, and you care about your truck.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Like people are saying, just minimize the number of times you come to a complete stop and you'll be fine. The truck has enough grunt to pull away that load from idle as long as you don't ask too much from it.

Best bet would be to get behind a semi because they do the exact same thing. I know when I'm stuck in LA traffic for hours with manual cars, I just get behind a semi. It's slower, but at least I don't have to keep using the clutch...

Old 06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, the less and less often you slip the clutch, the better off it'll be.

The other option would be to avoid Chicago all together. Take the long way and don't shift at all!

-Joe

Quick Reply: Any tips for towing in traffic with a 5speed?