Towing & Hauling

Any tips for towing in traffic with a 5speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've pulled with a V-6 4.2 manual about 5500lbs fully loaded on a 4 hour drive many times and have had no problems. Everyone says I am crazy for doing it but it has been 3 years and I am still pulling my camper with that truck. The only problem I have run into is reverse. It is hard on the cluch but if you start to burn it get off it fast. But if you have no slipage then you are alright. Take your time and don't get it in a bind.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troymeaux
I've pulled with a V-6 4.2 manual about 5500lbs fully loaded on a 4 hour drive many times and have had no problems. Everyone says I am crazy for doing it but it has been 3 years and I am still pulling my camper with that truck. The only problem I have run into is reverse.
If you have a 4x4, I've got a great solution for that: Pop the hood and disconnect the two electrical plugs on the passenger corner of the firewall. Close the hood, then drop the transfer case into low range. You will now have 2wd low range and can creep the camper in whatever corner you want to.

With 2wd, you're just SOL

-Joe

Quick Reply: Any tips for towing in traffic with a 5speed?