Towing & Hauling

Everything I need for electric trailer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything I need for electric trailer brakes

I have a 2002 F150 4x4 with the factory tow package (4-pin connector). I want to be able to haul my car to the track and the 20ft trailer has trailer brakes. Is this all I need to get them working with my truck:

-trailer braker controller box
-plug and play wiring harness
-4-to-7 pin plug

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If all you have is the flat four connector, you don't have the "factory tow package"....

Do you have at least a frame mounted hitch?

You can't get a flat four to 7 pin adapter that I'm aware of. Well, if you can, you won't have electric brakes or a 12v charge wire to the trailers battery at any rate. You will need to get the 7 pin wire harness that will plug into the main wire harness right around the spare tire area and unplug the flat 4 completely... Maybe that's what you meant anyway??

You'll need some additional fuses and relays for the under hood fuse box as well. Specifically, a 30amp brake fuse and the 12v power relay.

To find the exact location of these, check the owners manual and they should be listed there.

You might also want to make sure you have an aux trans cooler if you have an automatic.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 06-19-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the help! Where do I get the plug in 7pin harness (parts store or dealership)? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you go to the dealer, you can get the exact match for your existing wire harness and it'll be basically 'plug and play' for the 7 pin at any rate. I don't know the exact price, but I've 'heard' of others getting it for around $60. While you are there, you should pick up the other necessary fuses and relays for the rest of the 'tow package'. If you get a "universal" 7 pin, you'll have to splice it into the existing wires..... It can be done, but making sure you get the correct wires is always the "fun" part!

For the brake controller itself, if you get the Prodigy, you can also get the wire harness for it that will plug right in to the underdash connector, so another 'plug and play' deal there. It' run you around $100 or so for that setup.

I hope you don't plan on towing this from the bumper??

Mitch

Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 PM
No I have a frame mounted hitch....I just went out to Advance Auto Parts got the Brake control harness to hook the controller up and not have to cut any wires under the dash. Now I need to figure out how to get the 7pin connector in the rear. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by dbdragracing
No I have a frame mounted hitch....I just went out to Advance Auto Parts got the Brake control harness to hook the controller up and not have to cut any wires under the dash. Now I need to figure out how to get the 7pin connector in the rear. Thanks for your help!
Mine (factory) is screwed into the frame of the hitch receiver with either a large sheet metal screw or self tapping screw. .

Quick Reply: Everything I need for electric trailer brakes