Towing & Hauling

Do you guys think I will be ok???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys think I will be ok???

I am looking at buying a toy hauler and I want to know if I will be able to tow it safetly tell me what you guys think?

Here is what I have:
02 Ford F150 Supercrew, 4X4, 4.6 V8, 3.55 gears, 6500# GVWR package, and trailer towing group class III with trans cooler.

The Trailer I am looking at is:
07 Weekend Warrior superlite 19' with a dry weight of 4700lbs, that includes all options. The total weight of the trailer loaded with quads, half a tank of water and gear is around 6300lbs. But I will not always fill up water and be takeing the quads, that is the most it would weigh if I took everything.

What do you think???

Old 06-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by jt29
I am looking at buying a toy hauler and I want to know if I will be able to tow it safetly tell me what you guys think?

Here is what I have:
02 Ford F150 Supercrew, 4X4, 4.6 V8, 3.55 gears, 6500# GVWR package, and trailer towing group class III with trans cooler.

The Trailer I am looking at is:
07 Weekend Warrior superlite 19' with a dry weight of 4700lbs, that includes all options. The total weight of the trailer loaded with quads, half a tank of water and gear is around 6300lbs. But I will not always fill up water and be takeing the quads, that is the most it would weigh if I took everything.

What do you think???
jt29,
Provided the hitch and receiver are rated to haul that (both tongue weight and tow capacity) you won't have any problems towing that with the 4.6. You won't be breaking any land speed records, but you won't have any issues with towing that much weight. A friend of mine hauls his 26ft boat with his '06 F150, and I believe it weighs somewhere around 8000lbs, and he does this twice a month at least. His trailer is obviously a dual axle with brakes, and his truck's hitch is rated to tow that much weight.

One thing to consider though, does the trailer have surge brakes? If it doesn't, getting that much weight pushing on you while trying to slow down might be a bit of a problem. Also, is the trailer a single or dual axle??
Tanner

Last edited by Tanner_F150; 06-08-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tanner_F150
jt29,
Provided the hitch and receiver are rated to haul that (both tongue weight and tow capacity) you won't have any problems towing that with the 4.6. You won't be breaking any land speed records, but you won't have any issues with towing that much weight. A friend of mine hauls his 26ft boat with his '06 F150, and I believe it weighs somewhere around 8000lbs, and he does this twice a month at least. His trailer is obviously a dual axle with brakes, and his truck's hitch is rated to tow that much weight.

One thing to consider though, does the trailer have surge brakes? If it doesn't, getting that much weight pushing on you while trying to slow down might be a bit of a problem. Also, is the trailer a single or dual axle??
Tanner
The trailer has elec. brakes and it is a dual axle. I am not to worried about the 4.6 being about to pull that just that I am over weight when completly loaded, but I think that I will be ok.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Best thing is to load it up fully and take it to some scales.
Check the Gross Combined Rating and Gross Axle Ratings, too.
My 2002 screw is similar to yours but I have the 5.4. I max out the GCWR first because the truck is so heavy. My trailer is about 5500 lbs loaded.
Don't forget that water is just over 8 lbs per gallon. I tow with just enough water to get me where I'm going and then fill up there. I always dump the grey and black tanks before I leave to come home.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 PM
i pull a 18' titan toy hauler and i place 3 dirtbikes in it . with everything loaded it ways about 5,500 and im ok around 60mph.

i was looking at weekend warriors and i was just about to buy one when i founf a funrunner titan which was almost half the price and just as well made despite what weekend worrior owners may tell you i take it out every weekend about 130 miles round trip. it did cost me 13,000$

Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Best thing is to load it up fully and take it to some scales.
Best advice. Seen alot of problems with people pulling over loaded toy trailers headed for the dunes. The only way to be sure is hit the scales.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by expy03
Best advice. Seen alot of problems with people pulling over loaded toy trailers headed for the dunes. The only way to be sure is hit the scales.
I agree, but I don't want to buy it then find out that later that the trailer loaded up with all the toys is over my weight ratings for my truck. The trailer itself I am not worried about, the dry rate is 4750#. The quads are 800lbs, pluse gear and water. I think that I will half to be very careful how much water I put in the tanks. Drive as far as I can before filling up or if the place has hook ups then I can do it there. The trailer weight pluse gear and quads is about 6000lbs with no water. I just wanted to see if you guys thought I was pushing the limits with my weight?

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2006, 07:41 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that the dry weight rating from WW or what someone actually weighed? RV's and especially Toy haulers are notoious for fudging the weight numbers. Many WW owners @ RV.net that weight their trailers are are 10-15% over the dry weight rating when they pick them up from the dealer.

What about the Travelstar 23TB? Larger, but lighter. Or the 18SD if you can handle open sotrage for the toys.

Quick Reply: Do you guys think I will be ok???