Towing & Hauling

camper + small boat, any input appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camper + small boat, any input appreciated...

Hey guys,
k, I have a '00 scab 4x4 with the "heavy half" option for it, meaning i have a usable payload of about 2200lbs (between gvw and truck weight). my camper is an 8ft vanguard, and according to its specs weighs about 1470 when "normally equipped" (no water) and with 20lbs of propane. My boat is a 18'6'' campion explorer center console, weighs 1700 dry with a toungue load of about 150-200 lbs (two people can easily pick it up).

Now, i realize im not to tax my rear axel by loading the crap out of it, so i always try to put as much of my camp gear in either the cab of my truck or in the overcab bunk.

Point being, I just bought this boat and have yet to haul both to my favorite fishing spot out in the remote area of west coast BC. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of a load?? the weights all seem to be within specs and I haul the boat dry, but I was just wondering what to expect from my baby when she gets that much weight on. I understand its gonna be slow going up the hills , but if I load it all carefully i should be ok right???

Thanks

Tanner

Old 05-31-2006, 07:43 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see any problems with hauling the camper and towing the boat.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
How much water? How much gear? You can carry about 66 gallons of water with no gear in the truck. You may want to put as much gear as possible in the boat.

Either way, you're limited to about 500lbs of additional equipment.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by SRockwood
How much water? How much gear? You can carry about 66 gallons of water with no gear in the truck. You may want to put as much gear as possible in the boat.

Either way, you're limited to about 500lbs of additional equipment.
My freshwater tank in my camper holds about 30 gal, but i never bother to fill it at all. Usually I only ever bring a 4 gal water cooler jug. Me and my friends don't really drink water when we camp , so it only gets used for brushing our teeth and dishes.

On a seperate note, I'ver always been taught its easier for a truck to HAUL a given weight than to TOW it, so with the combo of hauling something and towing something, i guess i should just distribute my weight evenly in my truck, and anything extra i should put in the back of the boat (behind the trailer axel) so it is not more on the tongue??

Thanks again
Tanner

Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I always thought it was easier to tow than to haul, which is why you can tow more than you can haul.

I forgot to tell you to factor you and your passengers into that as well.

So, you can put your water and 2 average guys (180lbs, including you) in there and maybe a skinnier girl (less than 125lbs)...

Old 06-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by SRockwood
I always thought it was easier to tow than to haul, which is why you can tow more than you can haul.

I forgot to tell you to factor you and your passengers into that as well.

So, you can put your water and 2 average guys (180lbs, including you) in there and maybe a skinnier girl (less than 125lbs)...
Well, what i had meant by that was that its (as i was told) easier to carry say 1800lbs in the back thatn to tow something weighing 1800lbs... im not sure the logic of the old timers who told me that, but anyways.

I guess I can avoid the overweight issue entirely by carrying almost everything in the boat then, because the amount that a boat loaded with camp gear weighs on the tongue vs a non loaded boat is fairly marginal.

And Rockwood, when i factor in the passengers, it'll be two skinnier girls less than buck twenty five and me, buck seventy

Tanner

Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM
So, then 80lbs of water/gear/etc...

Either way, have fun and be careful...

Quick Reply: camper + small boat, any input appreciated...