Towing & Hauling

New And Need A Little Advice Etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New And Need A Little Advice Etc

Hi All

Just bought a F-150 Ranch Supercab 4x4 with a 5.4 tri (2002)

Just checking on the towing ability of this unit? I read a few charts and I don't have the book to find out the rear end (355 etc) and what it able to pull.

I believe it has the tow package (hitch and wiring present) don't know about the tranny cooler still have to check.

I have been towing for about 15 yrs with F150's-250-350 (used to have a 32ft travel trailer) 5800 dry and about 7100 loaded.

The F150 with proper motor is good to pull short distance (50 mile reasonable speeds and level ground) but any more distance than that I would fear that damage could result.

Anyone willing to give me some data if you have it? Thanks Gary

Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I think that the Scab with a tow package was rated to 7500 lbs. As I recall, the Scab rating was lower than the 7700 rating.

As far as towing.....if the trailer/load is properly distributed (and not overloaded) towing long distance is not a problem. My longest trips with this f-150 have only been 1000 miles, but these are through the Texas hill country pulling my 72 mach 1. Although not a 7000 lb travel trailer, if you are not in too big a hurry, it can be done.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:40 PM
adt
I highly recommend changing your gears to 4:10's. It really makes getting the load started much easier, and at highway speeds you'll cruise at around 400 rpms higher than before, so you're not using too much more gas. That along with a good air intake and exhaust system, you're truck will pull more than think. I pull almost 9000# with boat & trailer many times during the summer and once a year to CA. Not going to win any races but it pulls just fine. Of course the blower does help a bit to.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238

Last edited by adt; 05-28-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The axle code is on the sticker on your driver's door.

19 = 3.55 open
H9 = 3.55 LSD
26 = 3.73 open
B6 = 3.73 LSD
27 = 3.31 open
18 = 3.08 open
25 = 4.10 open
B5 = 4.10 LSD

Consult the Raoul's sticky thread for tow rating.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks a bunch

Hi all

Thanks for the input.... yes I found that my truck should have a lower gears and will work on that.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The F150 with proper motor is good to pull short distance (50 mile reasonable speeds and level ground) but any more distance than that I would fear that damage could result.
Well, maybe if you are exceeding the weight limits of that F150, but for the most part, if you stay within it's limits you should be able to go coast to coast for the most part.....

Sure, towing anything will add additional wear and tear to any vehicle, so you have to take that into consideration.

One thing to remember is that there are more limits to consider then just what the "tow rating" is for ANY truck. Any truck will have it's own GVWR and front and rear GAWR. Exceed any of these before you get to that nice big "tow rating" and that's it, you are done....

What people forget, or don't realize, is that the "tow rating" is derived from a totally bone stock truck. Zero options, other then what is required to tow. Zero passengers. Zero 'stuff'.

So, you have a KR F150... Guess what? You probably weigh close to #1000 over what a stock truck weighs. Got passengers? Gonna bring along some beer? All that additional 'payload' will subtract from that magic "tow rating" figure.....

Look at me... My truck has a "tow rating" of around #7700... Great... Well, I also only have a wimpy #6250 GVWR and an even whimper rear GAWR, so when I hitch up my little #5000 travel trailer, I'm exceeding my GVWR by a couple hundred pounds and probably at it's GAWR, if not over now.. (I haven't weighed it with the trailer hitched up for over 4 years and I've added a bunch of 'stuff' to it since then!)

But, I've got close to 160,000 miles on the beast and it's still running very strong. I have no worries about taking it on any long haul or over the mountains here in Wa state. Even planning a trip to Yellowstone at some point in the future too!

Tow within ALL the trucks limits and it'll be fine. Heck, from what I understand, any Power Stroke equipped F250 Super Duty will run out of GVWR long before they reach their "tow rating".... Sure, you can overload a SD and be fine, but 'technically', if you are exceeding the GVWR, then you are basically 'overloaded'.... Yes, that means I am technically 'overloaded' as well, but I'm aware of it and comfortable with it and my rig does not "look" overloaded...

Mitch

Quick Reply: New And Need A Little Advice Etc