Towing & Hauling

HD f-150 limits

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD f-150 limits

Have a 2000 HD f-150......has a max tow weight of 4,000.....compared to 8,300 for regular F-150...........Is this due to the 20" low profile tires or is there another reason ???............I wish to tow a 16' toy box with gear and 2 hd cycles.......doc

Old 05-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If by "HD f-150" you mean you have have the optional #7700 payload option, then you should have a lot more the a #4000 max tow weight??

The new F150s have a higher tow rating because it's basically a whole different design from the frame up compared to the 97-03 models....

Also, don't center your trailer purchase based solely on whatever "tow rating" your truck has..... Unless you have a totally bone stock truck that weighs in at it's advertised 'curb weight' there is no way you can tow as much as they state on that "tow rating" AND remain under any of your trucks other important weight ratings... Remember, if you exceed any one of those other ratings, that's it, you are done, no matter how far under that "tow rating" number you are....

Look on your drivers side door jamb for the sticker and it'll have your trucks GVWR, Front/Rear GAWR. Those are the main ones to pay attention to.

To determine how much 'payload' you have left on your truck, you need to get it weighed. If you can get each axle weighed individually, that's even better. Take the total of the two axles or the total weight of the truck as it's sitting there and subtract that from the GVWR on the sticker. What's left is how much more you can add to the truck. This will include passengers, additional stuff and the tongue or pin weight of any trailer you decide to get.

That's where you will probably run out of room the fastest... GVWR.

Toy haulers, by design, are pretty tongue heavy. This is to accommodate the toys you put in the very rear, usually behind the axles. This is so the trailer will tow correctly.

If you do have the 7700 GVWR F150, then you should be good up to around at least a #7000 loaded trailer and still have a pretty comfortable tow and not exceed any of your other limits. If it's just a standard F150, then you might reach your trucks GVWR with only a #5000 trailer.... I know, because that's exactly my setup and I'm actually a little over my GVWR with my little trailer!

Get some real weights first and go from there!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitch, I think docjoe has a Harley Davidson F150.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, that'll make a difference, huh...... Man, I've really been miss reading these posts lately!

Well, if he has a "tow rating" of #4000 for his Harley Davidson edition F150 then it's probably a combo of things. The tires for one. Probably does not have the load rating necessary for any heavy payload.

Suspension might be different because aren't they lower then a standard F150? At some point, didn't they start putting superchargers on the Harley's too??

I think the Lightning is rated for around #5000 due to it's specific design use....

Some of the above weight limits and checks should still apply in his case, but if they say "#4000", then I'd pretty much stick to it... The Harley is a specific design use vehicle too, and I guess towing/hauling is not high on it's list!

Thanks for the clue in KD!

Mitch

Old 05-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say that it is more a function of the tires' load rating than anything else. IIRC, the Harley/Lightning models had the better brakes, transmission, axle etc that the F250 "LD" trucks had...

Quick Reply: HD f-150 limits