Towing & Hauling

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing

I just drove back from North of Pittsburgh to the Southern part of NJ towing a 6x12 enclosed Uhaul trailer. I think it was their biggest and I had it packed tight from front to back and floor to roof. I also have a class IV/V hitch that you can crank up or down. I would say the total weight of the trailer and its contents were no more than 3000lbs.

The trailer swayed back and forth like I'd never seen before. I never got over 60mph and kept it around 50-55mph on the Pa Turnpike. It got right down scary at times. I stopped probably 8 times to make adjustments on the hitch. I pretty much went from the highest position to the lowest position to adjust the tongue weight. I'm positive the trailer was loaded perfect. The heaviest items were over the tandem axles and favoring the front slightly as recommended. The trailer always looked level. Tires were inflated properly. I called my brother-in-law who does a lot of towing and he thought it was possible that no weight in the bed of my pickup could be causing it.

But what I observed on the way home was this. I was being passed by many 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups with empty beds and pulling larger and smaller trailers. Most of them DID NOT having equalizing hitches. I've seen half tons many times pulling enclosed car trailers with a car inside which would have been more weight than I was pulling.

I'm talking some very serious swaying here. Even a Pa State Trooper pulled me over to make sure everything was ok. We even discussed it. My wife was a wreck by the time we got home. It took us about an extra 2 1/2 hours driving time. I know I had other drivers worried but I kept my eyes in the sideview mirrors constantly watching the sway and people passing. One time I thought I was gonna lose it but kept it on the road.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could have been? I was even wondering if it coulda been a suspension problem or even the possibilty that the trailers tandem axles were outa wack.

Sorry for the long read but that was a scary trip I'll never forget.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Hello 6T6CPE,
The only time I had the exact same swaying problem as you was when the heavy dresser and fridge that were suppossed to be over the axels shifted to the rear and screwed up the tongue weight. Became a white-knuckle ride. I know you think the weight was right but it probably wasn't. A 3000lb load should have at least 600-800lbs on the hitch which should have dropped your truck at least 2-3 inches and the trailer should not be level, it should always be 2-3 inches lower in the front on a bumper pull, that's why most trucks have to use a drop-hitch in the receiver and not a ball up on the bumper. The other factor might be that you have "P" tires rated "B" or "C" which are passenger car tires that have very weak and squishey sidewalls and are not the best for towing. Glad you got there safe anyway.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by fasterhorses
Hello 6T6CPE,
The only time I had the exact same swaying problem as you was when the heavy dresser and fridge that were suppossed to be over the axels shifted to the rear and screwed up the tongue weight. Became a white-knuckle ride. I know you think the weight was right but it probably wasn't. A 3000lb load should have at least 600-800lbs on the hitch which should have dropped your truck at least 2-3 inches and the trailer should not be level, it should always be 2-3 inches lower in the front on a bumper pull, that's why most trucks have to use a drop-hitch in the receiver and not a ball up on the bumper. The other factor might be that you have "P" tires rated "B" or "C" which are passenger car tires that have very weak and squishey sidewalls and are not the best for towing. Glad you got there safe anyway.
It wasn't a bumper hitch. It was a drop hitch but I can crank it up or down. One thing I did notice also that you mentioned it is that when I increased the tongue weight to the maximum the back of my truck never did sag. My truck pretty much stayed in it's stock position with the hitch down at it's lowest point which would be the heaviest tongue weight.

No P tires either. I run LT truck tires which are D rated because I do carry a lot of weight in my truck from time to time.

White-knuckles?? My wife had white-knuckles as the passenger!! I think my fingers are still stuck to the steering wheel!!

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:34 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Single axle trailer?

Sounds like not enough tounge wieght to me. The guideline is 10-15% tounge weight for bumper (receiver) pull trailers, not 20-25%. But guidelines are just that. I would have pulede over and adjusted the load with heavier things towards the front.

I don't understand the crank up/down hitch. I have an adjustable heigth ball mount from Putnam, but it doesn't crank. It stays in place with pins.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I pulled the same trialer from California to South Carolina last year. Plus, my bed was filled up. I weighed the trailer and it was just over 4k lbs. I had no problem whatsoever pulling it across country. I did stop in Arizona to adjust some items that were in the truck and move them to the trailer.
The biggest concern I had was the way my truck sagged. I have a 6" lift, 35" tires. It looked as if I didn't even have a lift.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Sounds like not enough tongue weight.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by SRockwood
Sounds like not enough tongue weight.
That's what it sounds like to me too, but if you ever have this problem again, STOP!!!!!!!! You could have lost control easily! I have seen numerous wrecks caused by this. The next time you're in this kind of situation, load down the front of the trailer. It won't hurt your truck at all to make it squat. Generally: The more weight on the truck, the steadier the ride will be. (Generally). There could have been many factors that might be playing in to this. You might have chosen the wrong size ball. (too small) The trailer's suspension might be worn out. (likely with U haul) Your tires might be flexing a lot (increase pressure to help) Your trucks suspension might be worn out. (unlikely) Your "crank hitch" might be screwing things up. (likely)

If this happens again, just move the weight forward. Bring the hitch as close to the truck as you can. Increase tire pressure.(always helps)

If you can pick up the trailer tounge off the back of the truck, it's too light.

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2006, 02:17 PM
It seems that everyone thinks it was the weight and not enough on the tongue. When we unloaded the trailer yesterday the boxes in the very back weighed more than I thought. The entertainment center was the heaviest item and it was in the front sideways. The love seat and sofa was along the side was much lighter than I thought. When we were done loading the truck my son and a friend of his sat on the very back of the trailer. It stood right up on end. That should have told me something then considering the hitch was on the ground. And only one guy lifted the trailer to hitch it to the truck. Another tell tale sign. And when I noticed no sag that should have sent another red flag up. But I also though since it was a 4x4 that might have been the reason there was no sag. But I have loaded the truck up with 500 lbs of things and it does sag.

The amazing thing about this is I was so concerned about getting the weight on the front is I actually didn't. I wanted 500 lbs of tongue weight and fell way short. The heavy stuff, or the items I thought were heavy, weren't as heavy as I thought because my sons friends took the bigger items and loaded them at my direction.

Chester what did you mean the "crank hitch" could have been a problem? It is new and was well within it's limits. The trailer itself also looked fairly new.

Anyway it was a learning experience and a very scary one at that. At one time I did think I was gonna lose it and either jackknife or flip the truck. My wife was still shaking the next day from our ordeal. I will be moving my son again when he gets a job that he went to school for and I will definitely make sure it doesn't happen again. My wife wants to get a Uhaul truck. But I wanna do it again to prove to myself that it was the weight.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Your lucky you didn't wreck. A neighbor's son borrowed a F-350 flatbed with dual wheels to pull a 30' travel trailer up north (Michigan). He made it 75 miles before it swayed out of control and totaled them both. Now how did he do that?

Old 04-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by 6T6CPE
Chester what did you mean the "crank hitch" could have been a problem? It is new and was well within it's limits.
I was just trying to give you suggestions. I'm not familiar with a "crank hitch" and since I've never used one, I don't know what kind of problems one poses.......

Quick Reply: Towing