Towing & Hauling

? About Hauling Dirt

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? About Hauling Dirt

Hey guys, I was hoping if any could help me out here. My situation is that I need to haul some dirt and I will be using a 10'x6' utility trailer. I am very confident that my truck can handle the task, 2005 FX4 5.4l and towing package. To get to my question is should I not try to load up my trailer too much or fill it up the most that I can? I only have a 2 mile drive from where I get the dirt to where I need to take I just need to make sure that the trailer can handle it. A little more info about the trailer is that it is a Big Tex single axle utitlity trailer with a 3500# axle. Thanks for in info.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As long as the tires are in good shape and have enough load cap, you should be ok.

Dirt is pretty heavy. A yard of the stuff will weigh in at some #2000-#2500 I'd guess?? Actually, probably more.

From what I found on the internet, a 1/2 yard could weigh around #2000.....

For only 2 miles, pump up the tires to max cold psi (probably 50 psi) and get no more then a yard and you should make it..... Keep it slow and easy too!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the help MitchF150, I ended up getting 1 yard and realized I could get another in there and ended up with a total of 2 yards. I am not going to do any more than that though. You could definatly tell I had a load back there but everything went well. I figure I will have to do a couple more trips when all is said and done with this project. Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Depends on how wet the soil is. Dry, you should be fine, but I wouldn't put more than a yard in if it's pretty wet.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah, wet soil can add another thousand pounds to a yard if it's top soil. Sod is the same way. If it's sand then not so much. If you've had a recent rain I'd keep it to a yard. If it's dry you'll probably be alright since it's a short distance.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, the water adding extra weight was a deciding factor. I have been lucky and we haven't had any rain for like a month so the dirt is good and dry. I have made two loads already with 2 yards each, but like you said I would go to 1 yard if it was wet. I was really impressed on how the truck did too, take off was obviously slower and I had to start braking sooner, just like anything you tow, but it handled really well. The truck hardly squated either when they added the dirt, I was expecting it to run lower and it hardly did. Thanks again for the replies, I think it should take maybe 3 or 4 more yards to finish my project.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, the trailer is taking the majority of the weight. All your truck is seeing is maybe 5-600 lbs of tongue weight at most....

Sounds like you are doing well in any case! Keep an eye on the trailer tires and if you can, feel how hot the sidewalls and/or the hubs are right when you get home after a heavy haul. If you can't keep your hands on either for more then a couple of seconds, you are overloading it....

Mitch

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info Mitch. This is probably the most weight that this trailer will ever see but I was concered about the tires since it is was obviously taking alot of the load. I have to take a little of dirt off at a time and can't unload the trailer at one time and I am waiting on cement before I can finish my project. I ended up putting my trailer on jacks while its sitting there to distribute the weight and to take the weight off of the tires. I am using 4 - 2 1/4 ton jacks, so they should just be fine. Thanks again, you are always so full of info when it comes to trailers.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Not a problem! Just glad I'm able to share some of my experiences with you guys! I've learned quite a few things on here as well, so it's all good!

Mitch

Old 04-18-2006, 07:54 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little late now, but my experience is that the bed of the truck and suspension is stronger than most single axle trailers. I bought a yard of pool sand that weighed 2580 pounds (it was wet) and hauled it 2 miles in my Screw. The landscaping place just dumped it in. On Friday I got a yard of mulch, but dirt/sand is heavier.

Quick Reply: ? About Hauling Dirt