Towing & Hauling

Can I pull this safely?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I pull this safely?

Im about ready to purchase a 97 nomad travel trailer that is 29 foot.. The dry weight is 5150.. I imagine when I load it down it should be 6000 lbs or so. I have a 05 5.4 xlt with 3.55 gearing and a tow raiting of 7700 lbs. I never owned a trailer before and was looking to get something more like a 26 footer to start out with but the price on this trailer is a great deal. I will also be taking a trip this summer accross the country with it. Would my truck be able to handle this trailer comfortabley? Of course I will have the wd, sb, and 3rd brake. Please chime in on your opinons..

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Comfortably" is kinda subjective, as what's not comfortable for me might be comfortable to you or visa versa.

In general, you should be able to tow that trailer for the most part. It'll be a good size load and you won't be winning any races on the hills or the on ramps. Expect to be in third gear most of the time and don't be afraid to let that 3v 5.4 rev.... That's where it makes it's power, and it'll run at 3 grand all day... Won't get the best gas mileage, but it'll work.

I'd get a WD hitch that incorporates some sort of sway control device however... Get the Equal-i-zer brand or the Reese Dual Cam. Don't get a simple WD hitch and a friction sway bar for that size rig. It won't do any good IMO.

Take it easy and watch the cross winds and when the semis and buses pass you.... That might get that long trailer doing things you'd rather not have it do.

It's more then I'd want with an F150, especially cross country, but like I said, everyone has their own 'comfort' level and I'm kinda used to my setup....

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 04-09-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for your opinion.. I have been doing more research also.. I think this travel trailer would have me on the edge for that long trip.. If I was doing little runs of a couple hundred miles or so I think I would go for it.. I think Im going to find something more in the range of 25 to 27 feet with a gvwr weight of 5500 to 6000 tops.. I think that would not be too bad?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Chris,
I have the same engine and gears as you, and the "tow package." We rented a 20' Travelstar about a month ago to pull across Texas. The Travelstars are supposed to be "ultralights," but my truck was struggling going up some hills (Big Bend area). I must say I was kind of disappointed with some of the handling pulling the trailer. Not that I expected to haul around like nothing was back there, but dragging up a hill at 40 mph on the interstate isn't much fun.

Is there anyway you can rent or borrow a TT of similar size before you buy? Even if you don't go too far with the TT you might get an idea of how "comfortable" you will be. However, like Mitch, the TT you're considering is more than I'd want to pull with my F150--especially cross country. Others will probably disagree, but my truck is my daily driver and I need to keep it for a while longer.

Good luck and be safe,
-Justin

Old 04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Justin B
Chris,
I have the same engine and gears as you, and the "tow package." We rented a 20' Travelstar about a month ago to pull across Texas. The Travelstars are supposed to be "ultralights," but my truck was struggling going up some hills (Big Bend area). I must say I was kind of disappointed with some of the handling pulling the trailer. Not that I expected to haul around like nothing was back there, but dragging up a hill at 40 mph on the interstate isn't much fun.

Is there anyway you can rent or borrow a TT of similar size before you buy? Even if you don't go too far with the TT you might get an idea of how "comfortable" you will be. However, like Mitch, the TT you're considering is more than I'd want to pull with my F150--especially cross country. Others will probably disagree, but my truck is my daily driver and I need to keep it for a while longer.

Good luck and be safe,
-Justin
Do you know what your trailer weighed loaded down? Im not to familar with big bend but are those some serious hills? Also I have been reading that you should turn OD off.. Did you have yours off? I am avoiding the 29 footer and going to find something shorter and less weight.. I dont know of anybody that would let me hook up and tow.. I do know I could rent a trailer.. How much does it cost to rent one? Maybe I could rent it for the weekened and see... Thanks for the input

Chris

Old 04-09-2006, 09:03 PM
I have 99' 5.4 with 3.73 rear. I pull a 24' loaded 6100 lbs with 500 lbs in bed of truck. It's all the weight I want. I think a lower weight 26' would work OK. I would be carefull about trailer dry weight. Don't use word of mouth or brochure weight. My brochure weight was 3700 lbs. but weighted 4700 lbs dry.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by raisin
I have 99' 5.4 with 3.73 rear. I pull a 24' loaded 6100 lbs with 500 lbs in bed of truck. It's all the weight I want. I think a lower weight 26' would work OK. I would be carefull about trailer dry weight. Don't use word of mouth or brochure weight. My brochure weight was 3700 lbs. but weighted 4700 lbs dry.
Do you think a lower weight 27 or 28 footer would work? Or too long for this truck?
Take care,
Chris

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Chris3577
Do you know what your trailer weighed loaded down? Im not to familar with big bend but are those some serious hills? Also I have been reading that you should turn OD off.. Did you have yours off? I am avoiding the 29 footer and going to find something shorter and less weight.. I dont know of anybody that would let me hook up and tow.. I do know I could rent a trailer.. How much does it cost to rent one? Maybe I could rent it for the weekened and see... Thanks for the input

Chris
The Travelstar 18SB has a GVW of 2654 lbs, and a GVWR of 3000 lbs--according to the brochure. Seemed much heavier, though. I must say, it was a cool little TT. We were fully loaded for a week's worth of camping (3 adults), but I did pull with empty tanks. Texas is pretty flat, but west Texas and the Hill Country do have some hills. We hit some 15-20% grades in the actual park. On the interstate, grades were between 10-15%. It's just hard to go so slow (at least to me) when the speed limit's 75 and semis are roaring past.

As for your OD question, that's opening up a whole debate. I turned mine off for extremely hilly terrain, and just followed the owner's manual suggestions. For flat, level terrain, I left OD on to keep the RPMs a little lower. Just have to keep an eye on transmission strain and temperature. I mentioned I was dragging around 35-40 mph on hills, but my foot wasn't anywhere near the floor--I just didn't want to push it. Engine roared with overdrive off and it sucked down the gas like you wouldn't believe.

We rented the Travelstar for a full week, and it ran around $450. The place we rented from does daily rentals for $80/day, so you could do a weekend if you wanted. Of course, this is a Texas dealer but I'm sure you can find a rental place in your area if interested.

Take care,
-Justin

Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Im about ready to purchase a 97 nomad travel trailer that is 29 foot.. The dry weight is 5150.. I imagine when I load it down it should be 6000 lbs or so. I have a 05 5.4 xlt with 3.55 gearing and a tow raiting of 7700 lbs. I never owned a trailer before and was looking to get something more like a 26 footer to start out with but the price on this trailer is a great deal. I will also be taking a trip this summer accross the country with it. Would my truck be able to handle this trailer comfortabley? Of course I will have the wd, sb, and 3rd brake. Please chime in on your opinons..

Thanks,
Chris

I have a 2003 5.4 4x4 with 3.55's. I pull my 27 ft 7000 lbs. Jayco with it all the time. It was like the two were meant for each other. I have the 1200 lbs reese w/d hitch with 1200 lbs. bars and an old fashioned friction sway control. I think it will do just fine as long as your not trying to win any races with it.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with what others say, you should be able to tow it but you won't be winning any races. In my opinion you might be kicking yourself for having all that weight. I would upgrade, but thats just me. I do plan on getting a travel trailer too and have been doing some research and wouldn't go anymore than a 24' with these trucks. I like to have a lot of stuff with me too so that will make a difference as well. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
IMHO if you got the right lightweight trailer you would be OK with a 27'. Some are lighter then my 24'.
Some lightweight trailers are not really light. Just advertising. If loaded light and right you should have no sway. I have none from trucks or wind with a friction sway control.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Thanks,
Chris
29 ft???? No problems Dude!!!

Last edited by chester8420; 04-27-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Let Er Buck

Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
I pull a KZ Frontier 2505 with my 2006 F150 Screw. I do have the 5.4 and 3.73 rear end. Tows fine....just got back from a 500 mile trip this past weekend.

My trailer length is about 27ft from the tongue to the back bumper of the camper. My weightm fully loaded is about 6500 lbs. I do use a WD hitch and two friction sway control bars. Passed and got passed by buses, semi's, you name it and had some pretty hefty winds coming home.....no problems.

Now 10mpg.....that was a problem at $3 a gallon.

I do tow in third gear and it turns slightly less than 3000rpm at about 65 mph.

Quick Reply: Can I pull this safely?