Towing & Hauling

Fifth wheel with a short bed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth wheel with a short bed??

I have a 2006 F150 Screw 4x2 5 1/2' bed. I am looking at buyin a 2005 Pilgrim 27'. I called a local RV service center to ask about the F/W mount and rails, slider, etc. He told me that they don't make anything for my truck like that because it's not recommended that I pull a F/W with my short bed. Any info you guys can give would be great. Is this guy full of crap or what? He said the only thing he recommends is getting the automatic slider.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen the previous generation of Screw's towing 5th wheels and they have to use a 'slider' hitch to make sharp turns.

The "problem" with mounting a 5th wheel hitch on the Screw is that the centerpoint of the pin has to be forward of the centerline of the rear axle to get proper weight distribution. This puts it very close to rear window.

Along with the slider hitch, you will probably need an extended pin attachment for the trailer itself. This puts the front of the trailer farther back, but keeps the weight on the pin in the proper place.

On Fords web site https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp16Jan06.pdf

See footnote # 2 under the 5th wheel towing section.... While they say the trucks themselves will accept one, it's the manufacture that might not have the setup for it specifically....

Just have to shop around some I guess... They must make 'em because I've seen 'older' Screws with them, but maybe they have not caught up to the 'new' models yet??

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Mitch-Thanks for the info. We are not totally against a TT. So I was wondering about yours. How long is your TT (hahahaha... damn that's funny) how is it to pull? Bruh...I can't stop laughing. I love this forum. Try to get back on topic. I really do want to know how the travel trailer is to pull.

I'm still laughing. Maybe I'm the only one that found that funny. Sorry...

Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
See if you can find one that has a gooseneck hitch. That would get rid of your "hitting the rear glass" problem.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Woods
Mitch-Thanks for the info.... How long is your TT (hahahaha... damn that's funny)... Bruh...I can't stop laughing....I'm still laughing. Maybe I'm the only one that found that funny. Sorry...
You should probably ask Mrs. Mitch because you know Mitch is just going to lie.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people buy the truck first, then the trailer?

F-150's are not designed for 5th wheels trailers. Supercrews are ever worse with the placement of the pin and distance to the cab. F-150's don't have the payload capacity to handle 15-20% the trailer weight, plus cargo and passengers. Mitch has a failry light TT and is still over his GVWR.

A TT with weight distributing bars will tow better than a Screw w/ 5th wheel mounted behind the rear axle. You obviously do not get the interior height of a 5th wheel trailer, but you gain the bed space for more cargo.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Well, I admit I will probably buy the truck first but, the truck will be a diesel dually with an 8foot bed.
Then when I go to the RV lot I can buy anything I want.
Heck, I may even buy their sales office if I like it.
"Nice office. Slap some wheels on this puppy while I back up the truck."

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
I bought the truck first because I love it. I had no intentions on pulling anything with it. I didn't even plan on using it as a truck. The F/W thing is an impulse buy. We thought it would be a good idea for my kids.

What is a gooseneck hitch? Is that like the ones you see on horse trailers?

Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
It extends beyond the trailer body.
Ask them if the trailer you are interested in could be fitted with a gooseneck.
That would address the turning issues.

Last edited by Raoul; 03-28-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 AM
My Prowler is a whopping 22' long from hitch to bumper (but it has the same size ball as a much longer one, ha, ha...... ). The box itself is only some 19'. Not really the best rig for more then a couple however.... A nice queen bed up front, but no place for kids. Sure, the table folds down, but you won't be able to put two kids there for long.

Like APT said, I've got a pretty small TT and only two people in the cab and some stuff in the bed and I'm 'overweight' because I'm exceeding the trucks GVWR.... Pulls great however and I have enough power to take it just about anywhere.

Your truck has a higher GVWR, but weighs more to start. Best thing to do is get the truck weighed with as much stuff in at as you plan on hauling when you hitch up a trailer. Subtract that from your trucks GVWR and what's left is what you can have for tongue/pin weight.

If you have less then #1000 left, then a small 5th wheel might work... But, you can get more trailer in a bumper pull because tongue weight is only 10-15% of total trailer weight on one of those. Most 5th wheels are around 15-20%.

While I'm technically 'overweight' on my truck, I'm not exceeding the trucks GAWR and I'm still over a 'ton' under it's GCWR so that's why it tows so well.

I don't fret over the GVWR thing, as it's only by a couple hundred pounds and the truck does not "look" overweight (no sagging, rides perfectly level). Some will say "you are an accident waiting to happen", but that's their opinion and they don't know how I maintain my rig nor how I drive my rig.... The truck barely breaks a sweat, even in the hills, so I don't feel I'm a hazard on the road... I do fear those damn diesels that seem to think it's OK to tow a 35' 5th wheel at 75 mph however!! There are a lot of 3/4 ton trucks that are over their GVWR too..... Anyway, every rig is different and you will have to be the one to take responsibility for whatever happens with it....

Mitch

Old 03-28-2006, 12:59 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raoul
Well, I admit I will probably buy the truck first but, the truck will be a diesel dually with an 8foot bed.
You'd only "upgrade" becuase you plan to purchase something bigger.

Anyway, sorry to jump on you, Woods. That's quite understandable about buying the truck as a passenger vehicle first. I do highly recommend sticking with a TT unless you have people taller than 6'6" in your trailer regularily. You'll be limted by trailer weight, not length.

BTW, check out the forums @ www.RV.net for a lot of great information on recommended trailers and towing.

Mitch, I don't think you interpreted it this way, but I wasn't judging you or implying you travel unsafely. Just using your experience as an example. What would appear to be a very small/light RV for any F-150 is over one of Ford's ratings.

I delivered some pool sand for my nieces' & nephew's toy box. My Screw weighed over 8000 pounds with me in it, but not my brother who made the return trip 2 miles. That's about 2900 pounds of payload including passengers, clearly over my 6750 GVWR. I feel very confident that F-150's are designed to handle their ~1500 pounds of payload very well, but I wouldn't overload it on a regular basis.

Last edited by APT; 03-28-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey APT,

Oh, I know you weren't implying anything about my rig and it IS a good example of what a huge difference there is between "tow ratings" and "the real world".... As we both know and have discussed on several occasions...

I was also trying to let Woods know that you do have to watch your GVWR and 'if' you happen to go over it's not the end of the world, but there is some additional responsibility involved as well...

Mitch

Old 03-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woods,

I tow a 26 foot TT (6500 lb. actual, 7700 lb. gvwr) with a weight distributing hitch with no trouble at all. I highly recommend you stick with bumper pull travel trailer instead of a fifth wheel. With the bumper pull you still get the full use of your bed. For frequent towing I generally go by the 80% rule; which is: If you meet or exceed 80% of any of your truck's ratings by towing then you need to get a heavier truck.

Last edited by kd4crs; 03-28-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Crap! I kinda had my heart set on the F/W. I just like the look of the F/W better. After doing a little research on this board and others, I realize that the weight will not be an issue. The problem comes in with the clearance in turns. I am considering a camper to have fun with my family, so if it means that I have to go with a TT then so be it. Thanks for the info guys. You really helped out. I will start looking at a TT tomorrow. In the mean time, if anyone can figure out a way for me to swing the F/W, let me know...

Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I talked to a guy one time at wal mart that had a dodge ext cab short bed and had a 5th wheel on it,he advised he wished that he had gotten the long bed truck for it would turn better then the short bed did.

Quick Reply: Fifth wheel with a short bed??