Towing & Hauling

Towing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Questions

I recentely bought another open deck car trailer to replace the one that was stolen. I picked it up from Virginia Beach on Sat.
When the trailer is empty and after the initial take off from a light it feels like the ball is to small for the trailer.(its not)Is this normal?
The trailer came with a weight dist hitch(bars and sway controll)The seller didnt want to sell me the adjustable hitch.
I have some understanding on how this hitch works but I didnt get any instructions on operation on the hitch. Do you have to adjust the hitch for different cars ?
Where can I get an adjustable hitch? Are thet all the same or do I have to buy the specific one for my weight dist hitch?
Once I have the car loaded on the trailer with this hitch should the truck sit level?
I need advice on LOCKING the trailer when it isnt attatched to the truck. How do you guys lock your trailer when its not in use?Do the lockes that fit up into the ball area work?Do you run a lock or chain thru the wheels ect. PLEASE let me know so this trailer isnt stolen
Thanks

Old 10-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Re: Towing questions

In order to keep my trailer from being stolen, we used to put an old trailer ball
in the hitch on the trailer, when not in use. It was an old ball that we cut most of the threads off of. Then we put a padlock thru the locking latch on the trailers hitch. I like using the "bolt cutter proof" padlocks that have a round look to them. I believe this would discourage most theives. Now they make a device that's a solid metal sleave type thing that covers up the entire works of the trailers hitch. They cost a little bit but look pretty intimidating. I think it would be hard to get around one of these without the use of a cutting torch. My cousin who had his travel trailer stolen uses one now.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Your Hitch should be adjusted so that the top of the ball is the same distance from the ground than the top of the trailer hitch that the ball goes into, then the trailer will be level when the truck is level. When you load up the trailer with a car or other weight, the front of the trailer will push the back of the truck down. Then you use the torsion bars of the weight distribution hitch to bring everything back to level again.

If your truck is a 4X4, and the trailer if somewhat low, a hitch capaple of dropping about 8" is a good start.

with my TT, which does not have a slidout and is reletavely low, the adjustable hitch is set to the lowest possible, and still with my truck, it would have to go down about another inch, but I can live with it.

You can tell from this picture the major height difference from truck to trailer

Dpostman

Last edited by dpostman; 10-25-2005 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing Questions