Towing & Hauling

How to make a 00 utilize a 7 pin connector?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make a 00 utilize a 7 pin connector?

What I have now:
2000 F150 4x4 Lariat w/Off-Road Package.
Reciever and 4 pin connector from factory.

Just bought a 27' camper. Has 7 pin connector and electric brakes, battery, etc.

I bought the YL3Z13A576GB 7+4 connector, the relay for trailer towing battery recharge, and the rear back up light relay.

I have looked and all of the fuses in the chart in the other thread are already there for towing, 19, 20, and 101.

My question is, after I plug in the relays and change out the connector, should I expect this stuff to work? I can see female ends where both the relays plug in so I assume the wires are there. Someone mentioned having to have the computer reflashed to program the 'towing package', but that was an unrealliable source. The 'kids' at the kamper store also do not have a clue....

Please help, I have a week to try and make my truck match the trailer. I also need to incorporate a brake control unit into this eqaution as well.

TIA

Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
I think it will all work. I didn't use the extra relays on mine because I wanted to be able to run the camper off of the truck battery even when the truck wasn't running so I just ran a separate wire from the battery and added an inline fuse. As for the brake control all I had to do was buy the pigtail and match the wires up to the controler and butt connect them together. I cheated a bit because I didn't want to spend the $100+ it was going to cost me to swap harnesses (not to mention no one had it in stock). I just went behind the connector and cut the dark blue wire and ran that into the plug I bought from Wally world. It and the charging wire are both run all the way to the back. They are just not connected to anything on the non-towing harness. I have pictures in my gallery.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
The 7+4 connector was the right one to get. Now, if you let your spare tire down and look on the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side, you'll see the existing 4 pin connecor wired to that big multi-pin atached to the frame. It also connected to your brake lights via another smaller multi-pin connector located just inside the rear bumper on the drivers side, if you follow the wires back, you'll find it.

Unplug the existing 4 way that came factory and install your new 7+4 and attache the bracket to the hitch however you see fit. After you put in all the relays and fuses, that's it for the rear.

Now, go to a trailer store, and you'll need the Ford connector kit for electric brakes. The controller I have is a reese, but the Kit I found was for Prodigy, so I needed to cut off the controller end and splice matching all the same colour of wires to my brake controller. on the right side of the steering column, there is a square (I think brown) connector that will receive the end of that connector that came with the kit

This site call it a "Brake Control Adapter Harness"

If all the fuses and relays are in the right spot, and all is connected, That sould be it.

Takes less than an hour.

Oh, Don't forget to bring your Spare back up

Dpostman

Old 04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
By the way, if all else fails, U-haul sell the "brake control harness" thingy (technical term) for about 5 or 6 bucks. It doesn't have the extra leg for a lighted display but if your controler doesn't have an extra lighted display that comes on with the dash lights you won't miss it.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, I have all the equipment to make my truck work according to the dealer I bought it from. It's all plug and play so hopefully I will know if it works later tonight....

Can't test the brakes until I go pick up the camper next week.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Yep, got lucky I guess. The 7+4 and 2 relays did the trick. Had to adapt the 7 pin bracket to my old 4 pin bracket so that I could mount it. Not many places for Ford's big ole bracket under there.

Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Quick Reply: How to make a 00 utilize a 7 pin connector?