Towing & Hauling

Noob needs reassurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noob needs reassurance

I have an '01 F150 w/the 4.6l v8, 5 speed manual tranny, and the 3.08 rear end. I also am picking up a small tent trailer - around 1400lbs dry - on Thursday. I'm second owner of the truck - it has a factory reciever hitch and 7-blade plug - does this mean it has a "tow package?" What does that mean on a manual transmission - there's no transmission cooler on a manual, is there?

Any advice on towing would be helpful. I have read the forums and know that I will rarely, if ever, want to use 5th when towing and need to keep speeds low. I also will rarely tow the trailer with h20 in the tank to save weight. Any other advice? I see plenty of folks offering advice to the guys like me, but few "been there" comments from owners of these rigs that can only tow 2000 lbs according to Ford.

I have a fibreglas shell and will probably be toting a bunch of crap in the bed - we tend to overpack for long trips.

Am I getting worked up over nothing, or should I be concerned? I'm planning on taking this setup to Yellowstone this summer - crossing 3 or 4 good mountain ranges. My trailer has electric brakes and I just installed a brake controller. The last time I towed, it was in an old F350 with 454(I think) pulling a 32 foot Alumilight. Couldn't tell the trailer was even there.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, you're getting worked up over nothing. Even though you have a high gear ratio, you will still have no problems with that small of a trailer. My '88 had 3.08 gears and a 5 speed, and I pulled massive trailer loads for many years. The biggest consequence was having to replace the clutch every 30K miles. But I was overloading my truck and pulling 5K-8K loads on a daily basis. I still got 200K out of that truck before trading it (for an automatic).

Old 04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
You should have no Problems. I towed a 1000lbs Tent Trailer with my 93 2.3L 5 Speed Manual 2 door Ford Tempo for 3 summers with no problems. Plus I had a Huge Cargo Clam on the roof, and I could not see out my back window cause the back seat was full of stuff. I had to Change the rear springs on the car to heavier ones to handle all the weight I was carrying. Man Those were the days.

It used to draw a crowd around when it came time to put everything back in the car.

Dpostman

Old 04-19-2005, 03:57 PM
You should have no problems with that light of a load. Just keep an eye on your gauges, mostly temp. Also try not to ride your brakes too long, downshift and use your motor slightly. Just because you have a hitch and a 7pin plug does not mean you have a towing package, they might have been installed aftermarket. But that should be nothing to worry about though with just 2000 lbs.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Noob needs reassurance

Originally posted by Fritz_H
... The last time I towed, it was in an old F350 with 454(I think) pulling a 32 foot Alumilight. Couldn't tell the trailer was even there.
It will be just like that.
Your biggest worry on a long trip is forgetting it's back there and not leaving enough room when you are passing the slower traffic.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Well, I towed it home tonight - she felt a little heavy, but no problems. Took a back highway instead of the interstate to get the feel for highway speeds. Felt great. I put a prodigy brake controller in and it adjusted beautifully. Ready to camp!

Thanks for all your help.

-Randy

Old 04-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Glad to hear it went well.

The most wear to your clutch will be when you're parking the thing, so Practice practice practice

Dpostman

Quick Reply: Noob needs reassurance