Towing & Hauling

Towing Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Newbie

Hi towing gurus!

I'm hoping you guys can help me here. I would like to tow a tractor that I just bought with my F150. I have a 2001 F150, 4x4, 4.2L V6, auto, 3.55 gears with no tow package. I have added a transmission cooler and gauge and will be adding a receiver hitch.

Now the equipment I want to tow is a little under 3500 lbs and I will be using a double axle equipment trailer (12 ft deck) that is rated to handel 8000 lbs. So conservatively I approximate my trailer weight at 4500 lbs. I'll be towing it infrequently, but when I do move it it will be for long distances in excess of 100 miles.

First thing I need to know is regarding trailer brakes. 1) Do I need them for this application? 2) Is there legal guidlines to follow regarding trailer brakes? 3) Could I set up a simple brake controller (I beleive the trailer has brakes) to run it and howmuch would it cost (ballpark)?

Next, is there anything I should do to the truck to make these trips easier?

Old 04-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should be "OK" for the most part. You won't win any races going up the hills, but it'll go.

You WILL need brakes on the trailer with that much weight..... In general, most states require brakes on trailers in excess of #2000.

This can be hydraulic 'surge' brakes, most commonly found on boat trailers. These require no additonal equipment setup on the tow vehicle.

You probalby have electric brakes on the car hauler trailer. This does require a "brake controller" that mounts in the cab. You can pick up a cheapie one for around $30.00 or so.... Might make for some 'jerky' stops, but it'll do the job. For around $100.00, you can get a Prodigy and that will make braking a very smooth experience.....

You will need to have the round 7 pin connector for the wiring. You also need additional fuses in the under hood fuse boxes. Your owners manual should have to locations of these.

Off the top of my head, you will need fuses for the brake controller, trailer lights, trailer turn signals/brake signals. A relay for the 12v charge line to the trailer battery, if so equipped.....

Good move on the trans cooler and gauge.....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 04-12-2005, 01:43 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each state has their own minimum trailer weight for requiring brakes. Unfortunately, MA is 10k. Anything over 2k will benefit, and I wouldn't tow anything regularily over 4k.

If the trailer has electric brakes, the Prodigy for about $100 is your best bet. There are less costly models but the features are low and setup time high. If the trailer has 7-pin connector, probably has electric brakes. If 4 pin, it does not.

A weight distributing hitch would be very useful.

A couple points: your truck stock is rated to tow about 4500 pounds. A tandem axle equipment hauler probably weights at least 2000 pounds, as my relatively flimsy 6.5' x 12' landscape trailer wieghts 1000 pounds. Your larger tires will kill towing power with the V6.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah I figured my truck will be pretty slow while towing, but in reality I don't plan on breaking any landspeed records. As long as it gets there safely with no damage to truck, trailer, and tractor.

The truck is rated in my manual for 5400 lbs in towing. Not quite F250 standards, but should be OK. Its got a 4 pin towing plug on it, can this be retrofitted for 7 pin?

In reality the tractor weighs in at 2150 lbs, the loader on it is 791, so I added some extra weight into my averages for safety.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to, you can buy from the dealer a plug in connector that will have a 7 pin and a 4 pin connector and a bracket that holds both. Don't remember the cost, but it was under $100, and took me 30 min to replace the one I had damaged backing into a snow bank. No cutting of wires, just "plug and play".

Old 04-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by APT
If the trailer has 7-pin connector, probably has electric brakes. If 4 pin, it does not.
Most equipment trailers/car haulers I have seen have a 6 pin.

Originally posted by kingfish51If you want to, you can buy from the dealer a plug in connector that will have a 7 pin and a 4 pin connector and a bracket that holds both. Don't remember the cost, but it was under $100, and took me 30 min to replace the one I had damaged backing into a snow bank. No cutting of wires, just "plug and play".
I think mine was right at $50 with tax then add the brake controller pigtail, fuses and relay package for like $20.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opps, 5400 it is. I was looking at the wrong number in the tablle.

Quick Reply: Towing Newbie