Towing & Hauling

dumb question from a new to automatic trany person

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dumb question from a new to automatic trany person

Just traded in my 2000 F150 Scab 4.2 V6 Manual trany (have always had a manual). and got a new 2004 f150 Scab 4.6 V8 heritage with an automatic trany (so the wife can help with putting the new boat in the water), the truck has the towing package on it with the 3.55 gears, the boat is a Lowe Aluminum hull 22 foot on a 25 foot trailer tandum wheel, here is the stats on the boat
Boat The main question is i was told to not tow with the O/D turned on that it should always be turned off. i figure since the boat is 2180lb and the trailer is probably close to 700lb with the motor at about 500lb that this would be true but the new one does no better on Gas with the O/D turned off.

I also have started to get shudder now on take off with the wheel turned should i get the trany fluid changed to Merc V it only has 1.3 K miles now or could this be something diff?
any ideas ?

Old 06-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use the O/D unless it starts shifting back and forth between 3 and 4. With that weight I doubt if it will unless you hit hills or high wind conditions. By the way, nice boat.

Old 06-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have started to get shudder now on take off with the wheel turned
Sounds like that would be the rear end?? You probably have the LS diff and some just do that on corners.... Well, at least mine does and it's got the correct fluid and the Ford Friction Modifier in it too.

Like Kingfish said, you can tow in OD, just as long as it's not shifting back and forth a lot.... "A lot" to me means if it can't hold OD for more then 5 minutes, then don't bother.....

In my case, towing a #4500 travel trailer, I'll let it go into OD when it can and I know I won't be approaching any hills for awhile. But, if I need to press the gas pedal more to maintain speed, then what's the point..... It's just dumping more fuel into the engine and any "savings" are lost at that point.....

I probalby keep mine in third 90% of the time while towing. Just have better throttle control over it and at 60 mph, it's only at 2500 rpms, so that's right in the engines "sweet spot" anyway.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by MitchF150
Sounds like that would be the rear end?? You probably have the LS diff and some just do that on corners.... Well, at least mine does and it's got the correct fluid and the Ford Friction Modifier in it too.

Mitch
that would be correct it does have the L/S in it. thank you all very much that takes a lot off my mind love my new truck even though i do try to hit the clutch from time to time

Old 07-03-2004, 04:46 PM
03 screw 2wd 3.55 lsd 5.4 tow pack...i have yet to take my transmission out of OD on interstate pulls just fine...but it is real flat down here in louisiana

Quick Reply: dumb question from a new to automatic trany person