Towing & Hauling

Trailer electric brakes question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer electric brakes question?

I just bought a car hauler that has electric brakes but I have to wire up my own 7 pin connector. The brakes on the trailer have 2 wires coming from them and my question is which pins do these wires go to? I was thinking one goes to the brake pin and the other goes to the positive pin.

I have a brake controller already wired up, Prodigy, but it won't recognize that the trailer is connected. Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Each wheel with a brake should have two wires. One wire is ground, the other wire should be connected to the output from the brake controller.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:33 PM
As I understand it, the elect. brakes are elctromagnets you have to have current flowing though them, so one wire is probably from the controller and the other goes to ground. If you have the 7 pin connector on your truck, find out which pin is the controller and hook it up to one wire, shouldn't make a difference which one. Just my thoughts on the ?

Old 10-16-2003, 10:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the pin in the middle is for the brakes. But always double check though. If you have a factory Ford 7 pin on your truck, you should have a diagram on the cover. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Trailer electric brakes question?