Towing & Hauling

Need help installing hitch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help installing hitch.

I have a '03 S-crew and a used hitch that I want to install. The only problem I have is that the hitch didn't come with any bolts. Does anyone know where I can get the bolts? Can I buy them from a manufacturer or hardware store? Does anyone know what size to get? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Brandon

Old 05-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine has 4 per side and a 19mm socket fits the bolt heads. I'd go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get some grade 8 nuts and bolts and lock washers. They cost a bit more, but what the hell.

Make sure you get the extra mounting plates that go on top of the lower frame rail when you bolt the hitch to the frame (these should come with the hitch.....). This is so you don't have a bolt directly onto the frame rail. The plate just adds more 'meat' around the hole.

Good Luck!

Old 05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Do I really need the mounting plates, because it didn't come with any? What do the mounting plates look like? Do you think it will be a problem bolting the hitch directly to the frame? I will try to get the bolts you mentioned.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:47 AM
I think those bolts have little line on the head of the bolt. The more lines the stronger the bolt. I don't know if it's an old wise tale or not but it's what i go by.
good luck

Old 05-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

The plates just give you more support around the hole that's drilled in the frame. Keeps the nuts from actually being pulled through the hole in the frame and bending the lower frame rail.

They do (kinda) the same thing that a flat washer would do, but the plates are thicker, and have the holes drilled in them for each "pair" of bolts, so it's like a 3/8" x 2" x 8" piece of plate steel placed on the frame rail.

Depends on "what" you really intend to tow, but if you are going to use a weight distribution hitch setup, then I'd say the plates are a must.

You can probably pick up some standard plate steel from the same place where you get the bolts and then just cut and drill the holes for each "pair" of bolt holes for the hitch, so you would need 4 plates total. Don't quote the size above, as I'm totally guessing on that. I'd have to crawl under my truck and I can't do that now!

Hope that helps some.....

Mitch

Old 05-21-2003, 03:44 PM
You'll be asking for trouble if you just use bolts, without any sort of backing plate. Over time the frame will rust and weaken. If you or someone else is hauling something and you/they make a sudden stop, the bolts will pull right through the frame. I've actually seen this happen because whomever installed the hitch just used nuts and bolts.

A hardware store should have the heavy steel washers that would work in place of the backing plates that would have come with a new hitch. If this were my truck though, I'd call the manufacturer and order the replacement hardware.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:56 AM
U-haul sells and installs Draw-tite hitches maybe you could stop by and ask if they have any of the reinforcement plates they could sell you. Or if you have any other places nearby that sell and install hitches may be able to help you out.

Quick Reply: Need help installing hitch.