My Raptor is now a Lincoln thanks to an MFT update!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Raptor is now a Lincoln thanks to an MFT update!

I logged into Owner Connection today and saw that my 2013 Raptor finally had a Sync/MFT update waiting (Gen2 v3.8 build 15128). So I downloaded and unzipped it as directed, putting it on an empty flash drive, etc etc etc., and ran the install on the truck while I was driving home. No power cutoffs, no removing the USB (my drive home from work is close to an hour). When all was said and done, instead of the Raptor SVT splash screen on startup and shutdown, I now get the Lincoln logo and the word "Presidential" in cursive script. All other elements of MFT seem to work as they should. But this is going to drive me mental, seeing the "wrong" splash screen!

To make matters worse, for some reason, I cannot get the XML file that reports a successful update to upload. I go to the proper web page as indicated in the email that I received when I downloaded the update, I select the file as instructed on the page (navigating to the correct place on the flash drive, selecting the XML file, which was created when "Installation complete" appeared on the MFT screen, and I did wait until after I hit OK before I removed the drive from the truck's USB port), but I get the error:

Upload unsuccessful. Please try again later. If you continue to experience problems, contact us.
I've tried from two different computers and several different browsers (Chrome, MS IE, MS Edge).

I can redownload the update, format the USB stick, and try to push the install again - should I do it? Or does this sound like a dealer visit is necessary?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by Jay911
I logged into Owner Connection today and saw that my 2013 Raptor finally had a Sync/MFT update waiting (Gen2 v3.8 build 15128). So I downloaded and unzipped it as directed, putting it on an empty flash drive, etc etc etc., and ran the install on the truck while I was driving home. No power cutoffs, no removing the USB (my drive home from work is close to an hour). When all was said and done, instead of the Raptor SVT splash screen on startup and shutdown, I now get the Lincoln logo and the word "Presidential" in cursive script. All other elements of MFT seem to work as they should. But this is going to drive me mental, seeing the "wrong" splash screen!

To make matters worse, for some reason, I cannot get the XML file that reports a successful update to upload. I go to the proper web page as indicated in the email that I received when I downloaded the update, I select the file as instructed on the page (navigating to the correct place on the flash drive, selecting the XML file, which was created when "Installation complete" appeared on the MFT screen, and I did wait until after I hit OK before I removed the drive from the truck's USB port), but I get the error:

I've tried from two different computers and several different browsers (Chrome, MS IE, MS Edge).

I can redownload the update, format the USB stick, and try to push the install again - should I do it? Or does this sound like a dealer visit is necessary?
Hi Jay911,

Please try a master reset: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technolog...c-myford-touch If you're still getting the Lincoln screen, you'll need to visit the dealer.

I also recommend running a Vehicle Health Report to confirm the update: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technolog...c-myford-touch It's the best alternative if the .xml does not work. You won't be able to reinstall the update.

Shaay

Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that's cool, mind posting a video of the screen?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't really consider it cool - even after a master reset it's still there, meaning I'll have to go to the dealer and probably get the whole thing wiped.

No video but I took a picture for you.

My Raptor is now a Lincoln thanks to an MFT update!-tgjpdhp.png

Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Somebody else has this issue, as posted on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledi...ttle_confused/

Old 12-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I updated mine and I got the normal FORD start up screen. Did you accidentally click lincoln when you logged in to SYNC MY RIDE? They ask you if you have a FORD or LINCOLN when you log in. Once you update the firmware, your stuck with it. Only the dealer can reflash the firmware to get it right.

Updating the MFT system is like updating the BIOS on your pc, once you go forward to newer firmware, you can't go back. It can't be done by the end user (you, me, etc.) but the dealer has the equipment to do a linear update or roll it back to an older version.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 12-06-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Did you accidentally click lincoln when you logged in to SYNC MY RIDE? They ask you if you have a FORD or LINCOLN when you log in.
Nope, and in fact there's a difference between the Canadian and American site if I recall correctly. Canadians don't even get a chance to do a Vehicle Health Report, which Shaay suggested - there's a lot of things that are crippled north of the border.

As mentioned in my most recent post, a Ford tech in a Reddit thread encountered this same problem on a truck he worked on. He says it took him several tries, but he was able to get the update to finally go in properly. Here's to hoping my local dealer has that same kind of luck.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:22 AM
FWIW, I saw this on another board.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/f...49/index2.html

Check out the suggestions in #18, sounds like a possible non-dealer type work around.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Great find! I will try that when I go out this morning.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:56 PM
That worked perfectly!

I also couldn't help but notice that once you opened up the zip files, the splash screens are simply mp4 videos formatted for the size of the screen.

Hmm.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So in theory anyone could swap out the image file for their own custom one and then upload into the MFT.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:40 AM
I'd say your truck has developed a bit of an ego! Lincoln? Aw come on - really?

I would be fumed. Irritated to the point of going to Mexico to buy MarkLT parts.... Btw - would be good to know how exactly it happened so others can avoid it and so anyone hell bent on turning their F150 into a 'mark lt' knows how it's done!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by erratic50
Btw - would be good to know how exactly it happened so others can avoid it and so anyone hell bent on turning their F150 into a 'mark lt' knows how it's done!
It seems the payload delivered to Raptor vehicles - or a small subset of them - included the incorrect splash screen in the zipfile.

If you follow the thread svt2205 linked to in post #8, a file is referenced (in post #18 in that thread) called EA5T-14F496-MA.zip. That file is found among the other updates when you download the MFT update from Ford and put it on a blank USB stick. If you open that zipfile up (and I'm going by memory since I don't have it any more), you get several jpegs and a pair of .mov files. The jpegs include the splash screen shown above, and the .mov files are the animated screens (with shining/reflections playing over the Raptor logo) for when the MFT system starts up/shuts down. I haven't tried it, but theoretically (unless there's some kind of checksum that ensures only "legitimate" files are placed in the zip) you could put whatever jpegs you want in there, and even two .mov files of your choice (presumably as long as you maintained the proper screen size/resolution).

Quick Reply: My Raptor is now a Lincoln thanks to an MFT update!