Can't Update Ford SYNC

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Update Ford SYNC

After someone backed into my truck I ended up getting a 2014 F150 rental (I have a 2010 FX2). No flat screen, just the buttons like my FX2...

What I noticed though was a HUGE difference in the commands that the SYNC would do. The 2014 would open apps with voice command, I could say "bluetooth audio... Pandora" and it would open Pandora (or whatever app/music I chose) and start playing.

I started looking into it and I was glad to find I could update my SYNC... yay.

Not. I went on the Ford website, followed all the directions and my truck has no updates.

Anyway around this? I want to be able to open apps without picking up my phone.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by CManHugh
After someone backed into my truck I ended up getting a 2014 F150 rental (I have a 2010 FX2). No flat screen, just the buttons like my FX2...

What I noticed though was a HUGE difference in the commands that the SYNC would do. The 2014 would open apps with voice command, I could say "bluetooth audio... Pandora" and it would open Pandora (or whatever app/music I chose) and start playing.

Not. I went on the Ford website, followed all the directions and my truck has no updates.

What you had in the rental truck was the "new" version on Sync. Sadly, you aren't able to update to what you used unless you swap all the electronics. You must of had "Sync 2" and "Sync 3" will debut on 2016 models. They dumped Microsoft with Sync 3.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by CManHugh

Hey CManHugh,

It sounds like the 2014 model was equipped with AppLink. You'll find more information about this feature here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync

This was not available on the 2010 model, which is why you do not have the same voice command options as you did in the rental. AppLink is not available as an aftermarket option for your 2010 vehicle.

The easiest way to play music from an app is to pull it up on your phone and then press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel. Give the voice command BLUETOOTH AUDIO and you'll be good to go.

Kim

Quick Reply: Can't Update Ford SYNC