Sync issue with USB MP3s & indexing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync issue with USB MP3s & indexing

My truck won't let me play specific songs anymore. When I try to say "play artist X" it just gives me the error that the songs are not indexed.

Since I bought my truck I have been using the same USB thumb drive with the same MP3s on it... it used to work, now it doesn't.

I checked the sync website and it says my software is up to date.

What else can be done to fix this? Anyone know?

This is a 2012 XLT with the standard sync system (small screen).

(Not sure if it is related - but last week I had trouble with the phone voice controls too...)
I haven't tried again since then.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by mkosu04
My truck won't let me play specific songs anymore. When I try to say "play artist X" it just gives me the error that the songs are not indexed.

Since I bought my truck I have been using the same USB thumb drive with the same MP3s on it... it used to work, now it doesn't.

I checked the sync website and it says my software is up to date.

What else can be done to fix this? Anyone know?

This is a 2012 XLT with the standard sync system (small screen).

(Not sure if it is related - but last week I had trouble with the phone voice controls too...)
I haven't tried again since then.
Hello mkosu04,

PM your VIN, I'd like to look into this for you. There could be a read error taking place, caused by either a fault in the thumb drive, SYNC, or somewhere in the software between.

Antonio

Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Sorry for the delayed response... last week was crazy busy.

I have an update on the issue - it seems to have healed itself.
Friday I decided to play some MP3s and tried requesting by artist name and it worked fine.
I did not do a thing to fix it. I listened to the radio for a couple days last week, but never removed the USB drive. The radio never lost power.

I will send the info to you Antonio.
Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Sorry for the delayed response... last week was crazy busy.

I have an update on the issue - it seems to have healed itself.
Friday I decided to play some MP3s and tried requesting by artist name and it worked fine.
I did not do a thing to fix it. I listened to the radio for a couple days last week, but never removed the USB drive. The radio never lost power.

I will send the info to you Antonio.
Thanks
mkosu04,

Your message has been received, my reply is in your inbox. Keep me posted if anything comes up again!

Antonio

Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Just had the same problem myself today, had the truck for almost a month and mp3s in my iPod worked fine till I sync my iTunes and now it won't index, just been sitting there saying indexing.. Sync software is up to date, any other ideas?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by BlackToothFx4
Just had the same problem myself today, had the truck for almost a month and mp3s in my iPod worked fine till I sync my iTunes and now it won't index, just been sitting there saying indexing.. Sync software is up to date, any other ideas?
Hi BlackToothFx4,

Here's a helpful video that takes you through the basic troubleshooting steps I'd recommend:

The second half of the video really focuses on working with media device-related issues, but the entire video is a good watch to get a general understanding from a technical viewpoint. Let me know how it goes!

Antonio

Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi BlackToothFx4, Here's a helpful video that takes you through the basic troubleshooting steps I'd recommend: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdu6Drm5-gI The second half of the video really focuses on working with media device-related issues, but the entire video is a good watch to get a general understanding from a technical viewpoint. Let me know how it goes!
Antonio
Thanks for the reply, non if that helped any, the problem only occurred after I syncd my iTunes, it's been indexing for a half hour now, and that's even after a sync rest, any other ideas?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Ford Customer Service
Thanks for the reply, non if that helped any, the problem only occurred after I syncd my iTunes, it's been indexing for a half hour now, and that's even after a sync rest, any other ideas?
BlackToothFx4,

You can try placing a few song files on a USB thumbdrive to see how the system behaves. If it seems like you get the same result, the hard reset is the way to go. This can be performed by either locating the SYNC fuse and removing it for about 3 minutes or disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Your dealership should be able to assist with this, if need be, but your owner's manual will help with locating the correct fuse in the fuse panel.

Antonio

Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM
BlackToothFx4, You can try placing a few song files on a USB thumbdrive to see how the system behaves. If it seems like you get the same result, the hard reset is the way to go. This can be performed by either locating the SYNC fuse and removing it for about 3 minutes or disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Your dealership should be able to assist with this, if need be, but your owner's manual will help with locating the correct fuse in the fuse panel. Antonio
Had to do the hard reset, all is good now, why is this an issue and what is ford doing to fix this?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Ford Customer Service
Had to do the hard reset, all is good now, why is this an issue and what is ford doing to fix this?
BlackToothFx4,

Glad to hear we were able to get it going again. I don't really have an answer as to "why"... any number of communication errors could have tripped up SYNC. Sometimes technology doesn't offer an explanation for its behavior, which is what our troubleshooting procedures are designed to contend with.

I'm not really in a position to lend any ideas on what's happening behind the scenes, but from experience I can say that software bugs identified by engineering are often addressed through the use of software updates. However, it can be tricky to distinguish these bugs from hardware faults when gathering information from the field - which complicates the process and lengthens the time it takes to develop any solutions. This is why we do our best to track and report emerging trends so our teams have enough information to make the best decisions possible.

Antonio

Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM
BlackToothFx4, Glad to hear we were able to get it going again. I don't really have an answer as to "why"... any number of communication errors could have tripped up SYNC. Sometimes technology doesn't offer an explanation for its behavior, which is what our troubleshooting procedures are designed to contend with. I'm not really in a position to lend any ideas on what's happening behind the scenes, but from experience I can say that software bugs identified by engineering are often addressed through the use of software updates. However, it can be tricky to distinguish these bugs from hardware faults when gathering information from the field - which complicates the process and lengthens the time it takes to develop any solutions. This is why we do our best to track and report emerging trends so our teams have enough information to make the best decisions possible. Antonio
Well it's good to see that you guys and gals are on here and other social networks collecting data on issues and working towards a solution

Old 12-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Problems back, looks like there is a TSB out for it

Quick Reply: Sync issue with USB MP3s & indexing