Ford sync troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford sync troubles

I picked up a 2010 ford f150 from the dealership a week ago. It has a aftermarket touch screen radio, once I saw that I asked the guy if the sync still works an he assured me it did. The volume buttons won't turn up the radio and when I plug my iPhone into the sync USB port it does nothing. What can I do to troubleshoot this

Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM
odds are whoever installed the aftermarket radio either bought a unit that is incompatible with Ford steering wheel controls or they didn't purchase an adapter kit for the steering wheel controls. Do other steering wheel buttons work with the radio?

Regarding the USB port and your iPhone; Sync only communicates with USB mass storage devices via USB. Your phone should charge, but the music doesn't play through the USB link (that I'm aware of). If you want to play music on the iPhone through your vehicle's speakers you can say "Bluetooth Audio" on sync and it should switch audio input. However, that's assuming the person that installed the aftermarket receiver didn't completely disconnect the sync system.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
my guess is that the sync has been completely disconnected. I don't think it will work with aftermarket radios. The steering wheel controls, I am not sure about.
When I added a sub and 2 power amps, I used an adapter and reverse adapter and then figured out which wires were for the steering wheels controls and added some wires to those and kept the steering wheel function, however, I kept the stock radio.
You might have to go back to a stock radio to use sync, and the steering wheel controls.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Biff it
I picked up a 2010 ford f150 from the dealership a week ago. It has a aftermarket touch screen radio, once I saw that I asked the guy if the sync still works an he assured me it did. The volume buttons won't turn up the radio and when I plug my iPhone into the sync USB port it does nothing. What can I do to troubleshoot this
After plugging the phone into the USB port, hit the 'Media' button on the steering wheel.

A voice should say "Sync, please say a command".

Reply, "U-S-B".

Sync will say back, "U-S-B", and the Sync screen should say USB.

Open the music library on your phone and push play.

It's lots easier to activate the 'blue tooth' on your device and let Sync pair it to the system so your device can be used as a regular phone while 'synced' .

Then music from your device can be played by telling sync, "BlueTooth Audio".

Last edited by High-ster; 04-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford sync troubles