SYNC issues with "dumb" phone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SYNC issues with "dumb" phone?

Is anyone running into issues with the SYNC or NAV system that don't have the smart phones Blue-Toothing in? I have an old style flip phone and no immediate intention of upgrading phones. I have a line on a 2011 Lariat that the price is good on, but I don't want hassles with the electronic dash causing trips to the dealer to get the run-around.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a Motorola flip Nextel that worked fine with Sync but changed shortly to a Smartphone. Both phones didnt work with texting on the Sync, that was it.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok, my wife ended up with a 2012 Explorer Limited 3 weeks ago. The vehicle is nice, but her MyFordTouch is not that friendly and I suspect her iPhone may have something to do with it after reading other posts. I wouldn't mind the big nav screen, but I don't want the hassles that she is having with hers. Apparently there is to be a "fix" either this quarter or next so hopefully that will help.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM
MyFord Touch Upgrade begins release March 5, 2012

More than 300,000 current owners of 2011 and 2012 Ford Edges, Explorers and Focuses with the MyFord Touch system will soon be receiving some new software from their car company — the much-anticipated MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch system upgrade software.

Dave Martin, Field Service Engineer for Ford, said March 5 that Ford would begin mailing out a special packet to the thousands of 2011/2012 model year Edge, MKX, Explorer and 2012 Focus owners with MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch. The packet will include a USB flash drive with updated software, a notification letter, detailed instructions for the 60-minute download, and an update user guide. Navigation-equipped vehicle owners also will receive an updated SD card with all-new, updated map data.

Ford and Lincoln service departments are gearing up for this release because, if preferred, customers can elect to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer for installation of the upgrade.

The new software upgrade will be installed on the 2012 Ford Taurus and the Flex which are now going into the “build mode.”

The touch screen interface was first introduced in 2010 and has received many improvements since then, however, this new performance upgrade will simplify the interface and bring faster performance. It will have better phone compatibility, support for tablet computers and Audible audiobooks, improved navigation maps and destination entry.

Ford has seen a dramatic growth in the use of their in-vehicle technologies since the introduction of the Sync system in 2008. A recent survey of 2011 and 2012 owners with Sync and MyFord Touch has found that 91 percent are using the hands-free calling at least once a month. Just over 60 percent use the hands-free phone calling every day. Eighty-five percent use wireless Bluetooth audio streaming with nearly half using it every day.

The performance upgrade is offered at no charge to existing MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch owners (it’s covered under warranty). Most customers can upgrade the system themselves, however a few “early production” Explorers and Edges may need to have the work done exclusively at a Ford Service Department. For more information, please contact your Ford or Lincoln dealer.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM
HFord57,

Thanks. Your response almost sounds like you copy and pasted that from the Ford vaults.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
WoodsTruck,
I have what is probably the most basic phone (that I think is not even still available), a TracFone LG420 flip-phone style...it paired right up to the truck's SYNC system and has worked flawlessly ever since via BlueTooth...

Quick Reply: SYNC issues with "dumb" phone?