Sync reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sync reliability

My 2011 F150 FX4 has a reliability issue w/ the sync system.

I'm up to about 50% chance now of having the system completely un-usable at start up.

I know about the trick of shutting truck off and opening door but that doesn't even work now. So it's hit and miss.

Anyone else having this much trouble? Or does anyone even use the system?

Ford hasn't been much help so far...

Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 AM
No its completely useless. Im also at about 50% to its just getting worse. I told ford i wanted my $695 back and they can keep the sync. They are zero help as well. Figures its microsoft. Shoulda saved the and bought an aftermarket one if i wanted bluetooth

Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Yep, many others with the same problem, especially the '11 F-150s with a new(er) version of Sync. Have applied the Sync update from a couple months ago that was hoped to make things better, but haven't really noticed any difference. For what it's worth, the problem with "dead on startup", which is really just the Sync going through a reboot cycle, is much more pronounced when you have a USB stick (as when you're playing MP3s of it) plugged in when you start the truck. I hope they (Ford in this case -- Microsoft just makes the hardware and basic system, Ford writes the Sync software) get their act together soon and get things fixed up. The only saving grace of the whole mess is that in all likelihood, it's something that can be fixed via a software update, which you can perform yourself.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM
I can't help but to think that the hardware has a problem too...
At a minimum the update process should be "over the air" - and robust enough that it's difficult or impossible for an end user to "brick" the system.

The hardware is made by Continental.... Ford is using a development system along with Microsoft to write the sync software.

I suspect that it's all of the players fault. Continental usually does engine controllers, not consumer goods... usually updated at dealers with dealership equipment. Ford apparently is learning about regression testing - so they don't break things that they fix when updates are released... something Microsoft took years to get right. Finally, Ford is handling this in a bad way. Ford should open the system up for end user development and maybe ditch Microsoft. They have an opportunity to off the first "open source" vehicle computer system.

I imagine their licensing agreements with all of the parties keeps them from doing it.

Oh, and now my Droid Bionic has voice recognition along with better navigation and media. Why do I need this Ford system anymore? I'm with you... give me my $695 back and I'll go with an aftermarket system that uses my phone for all of these functions.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Hmm thats good to know. I am looking into getting a 2012 Focus and I wanted the sync. But might re think that now. Is every vehicle having that problem or is it just on the trucks?

D

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by jon_herr
I can't help but to think that the hardware has a problem too...
At a minimum the update process should be "over the air" - and robust enough that it's difficult or impossible for an end user to "brick" the system.

The hardware is made by Continental.... Ford is using a development system along with Microsoft to write the sync software.

I suspect that it's all of the players fault. Continental usually does engine controllers, not consumer goods... usually updated at dealers with dealership equipment. Ford apparently is learning about regression testing - so they don't break things that they fix when updates are released... something Microsoft took years to get right. Finally, Ford is handling this in a bad way. Ford should open the system up for end user development and maybe ditch Microsoft. They have an opportunity to off the first "open source" vehicle computer system.

I imagine their licensing agreements with all of the parties keeps them from doing it.

Oh, and now my Droid Bionic has voice recognition along with better navigation and media. Why do I need this Ford system anymore? I'm with you... give me my $695 back and I'll go with an aftermarket system that uses my phone for all of these functions.

Careful now, the sync loyalists will go off on you if you suggest aftermarket systems are better and/or the same for a much lower cost. You're talking "herresy" to them.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
My Sync works fine, in the last few months I was kicked off 2-3 times minutes after it connected. My only gripe is it cant read my texts but thats a phone issue. I have a T-Mobil Galaxy S 4g. My truck is a 2011 fx4 Ecoboost. I just learned also how to stream Pandora through blue tooth which is a great feature. If my Sync didnt work I would be annoyed also. Hopefully if works out for everyone.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 11-07-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have it on my 2012 focus. It's not terrible but it's pretty weak. It seems that they put a processor from 1992 in the thing. I think a faster processor would help a lot.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey 05supercrew - when you stream pandora do you have any "skips" during playback?

My bluetooth link skips three times every 45 seconds - it's repeatable... whether I'm playing back from Pandora, Iheartradio, or mp3s on my phone.

Jon

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM
My Sync works fine. Some voice recognition issues now and then but everything else works. I do not have the NAV though.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by jon_herr
Hey 05supercrew - when you stream pandora do you have any "skips" during playback?

My bluetooth link skips three times every 45 seconds - it's repeatable... whether I'm playing back from Pandora, Iheartradio, or mp3s on my phone.

Jon
No, works perfect. I play Pandora for about 20-30 minutes each time before I switch back to Sat. radio no issues.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
One thing I noticed with mine, when it starts acting up, you have to reboot your phone while the truck is off. Then it works like magic for awhile...

Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm in the same boat my 2011 mustang had some voice recognition issues every once in a while and the steering wheel buttons sometimes didnt work but I traded it in on a 2011 FX2 and this thing doesnt work at all now. Steering wheel buttons dont work for changing the song voice recognition hasnt worked in three days I have to use my iPhone to start the call and then it comes through the speakers but a total piece of crap I am extremely dissappointed. I read yesterday that a software fix was coming via a thumbdrive but it was only for MyFord Touch users I hope its for Sync as well.
Has anybody talked to Ford directly to find out if they are doing anything.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
I have it on my 2012 focus. It's not terrible but it's pretty weak. It seems that they put a processor from 1992 in the thing. I think a faster processor would help a lot.
Been thinking of getting one for the mpg. How do you like it so far?

D

Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The only problem I have with Sync is the annoying voice of the woman that demands I talk to her. Plus, she has trouble understanding Texan. LOL

Quick Reply: Sync reliability