Rear End Clunking on Turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Clunking on Turns

What do you think this problem may be? My 98 F150 4x4 supercab, makes a clunking noice when the truck turns to the left or right. The noise only happens during turns. So far, I have checked my U-joints, which are good and my shocks seem to be mounted tightly and the shock bushings seem ok too.

Anyone have any ideas? You guys are usually pretty good for ideas.

By the way the truck has 110K on it, so I'm not surpised I'm hearing a little bit of extra noise.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2002, 05:57 PM
I noticed the same thing on my truck, especially when you go up or down a curb while turning. I also have noticed that I can duplicate the sound by grabbing the bed when the truck is parked and just pushing back and forth real hard. It sounds to me like something with the drums(if it's the same problem that your having) but I have not been able to find out for sure as of yet. Let me know if when you push the back end around it duplicates the noise and what you think it might be.

Old 12-09-2002, 06:04 PM
My SVO did this same thing. I changed the rear end gear oil out with new synthetic and added the FORD friction modifier and it stopped all together and has not given me anymore trouble since.
I think at 110k it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it anyway. My SVO was at 148k when it happened.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Rear End Clunking on Turns