Popping noise when backing out of driveway and turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping noise when backing out of driveway and turning wheel

I have a 98 4X2 w/ 64k on it. I replaced the factory 2557016 with Michelin LTXAT LT2657516 around 30k. For the last year or so, whenever backing out of my driveway or a parking space where I have to turn the steering wheen around several times, I hear a "popping" noise from the front end. I think I can feel it in the steering wheel also. It always makes the noise when the steering wheel is in the same spot, ie if I turn the wheel two complete circles, the noise comes when the wheel is at "4 o'clock". I have lifted the front end and turned the wheen while the tires are in the air, but I don't hear the noise then.

Any ideas what this could be? I have read allot about tie rods wearing out and needing replacement. Could this be a tie rod problem?

I have a Ford ESP, but I am afraid if I take it in, they will tell me the larger tires voided the warranty...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-22-2002, 03:24 PM
You might want to check out your pitman arm. Just a suggestion.

Old 11-22-2002, 05:32 PM
It might also be your idler arm. Lift your front end from the frame and wiggle your tires. If the idler arm is worn it will have a lot of up and down play when you move the tires.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:48 PM
i work at a dealer in south dallas and the tires will not effect your warranty, if you
want to look at it yourself check both upper ball joints and left lower control
arm bolt, make sure it is tight! the frame is slotted at that point and fairly common to see movement. make sure that you are not hitting the steering stops either when you are turning

Quick Reply: Popping noise when backing out of driveway and turning wheel