Sounds like a nail/rock

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sounds like a nail/rock

I have 5.4, 4X4 which I owned since new. I recently started to hear what sounds like a nail or rock stuck between the tread on the tire. Faster I go, more frequent it becomes. The sound is coming from the front passager or rear passager side. The sound is not apparent in city driving, but on freeway it's noticable. I now have 29,000 miles on it. I am still under factory warranty, but like to have some idea before going into the dealership.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Did you happen to look and see if it was a nail or rock??????????

Old 11-07-2002, 09:58 PM
I've checked and found nothing. It sounds and feels like the tires have a flat spot on it. I am just worried that it may be related to bearings or something...One thing I've noticed over the last month or so is the fact that I am losing air in the back. I would put 35 psi, 2 weeks later it is down to 27 psi. It may well be a tire leaking. I am just concern. What else can it be.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:51 AM
First, make sure your not running over the reflectors on the road, lol. j/k. I dont know what else it could be, but you might want to replace one of your passenger side tires with your spare tire. Try both tires and see if one of them solves the problem. If so then the problem would have to do with your tire. I highly doubt loosing that much air would have ne thing to do with it. I've been to the point where i was having to air up my tires every day b4 school, and never came across this problem.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the tip, I will try that spare tire trick to see if that will solve it. I'll let you know what happened.

Quick Reply: Sounds like a nail/rock