2" rear drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 03:15 PM
V8KILLAH1
2" rear drop

If I level off my truck by doing the 2" rear drop with shackles, am I gonna get any kind of perforamce gain whether it be just from a hopefully tighter ride, or is it trully just cosmetic?

Old 11-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't notice any difference in handling with my 2" drop, but in theory your center of gravity will be lower, and a small amount of weight will be shifted from front to rear, improving weight distribuition. Also in theory, your load carrying capacity would be sliightly reduced, but it'seasier to load a motorcycle, for sure.

If you want performance gain, dump the stock shocks and tires! A cheap mod is to replace your front anti-sway bar bushings with urethane ones - cost about $25 - $30 and takes 30 minutes or less. A rear sway bar also helps, but these things are never going to handle like a sports car.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:18 PM
V8KILLAH1
thanks dirt bike dave, but what did you use for the drop, just shackles right??? and is it something you can do with basic hand tools?

Old 11-06-2002, 08:31 PM
get the belltech 2"...

drop shackles...it will stop the wheel hop..provide quicker weight shift to the rear for better and i say better not greater traction...and will eliminate that just kicked in the *** and did'nt recover look...heres a example...i hope..heres goes[IMG]www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1490-2027-23454.jpg[/IMG]...did'nt take..aaaaggghh

Old 11-07-2002, 10:56 AM
I used Belltech shackles. You should have a jackstands and a floor jack.

Also, on mine, the stock top shackle bolts could not be removed without cutting with a hacksaw. They were installed in a way that the frame rail prevented the bolt from being removed! This was a PITA as I had to put everything back together, drive to the hardware store for some high grade bolts and do it all again.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Belltech shackles on my truck as well. Easy as Pie to get on. You shouldn't have to cut anythnig. Do a search and there are great instructions, think there may be some on the site or www.fordf150.net

-Brian

Old 11-08-2002, 06:37 PM
V8KILLAH1
thanks everyone, I will be highly considering dropping the *ss, or just doing the rear anti sway bar and adding urethane bushings up front. Probably cheaper

Quick Reply: 2" rear drop