Problems with my lift spindles

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Problems with my lift spindles

I replaced the spindles on 2001 Supercrew with AIM 3 inch lift spindles and ran into alot of problems. After reinstalling the brake sensors, which seemed to sit closer to the roter, my abs kicks in when stopping at stop signs. You can feel the brake pedel pulsating with the abs and it feels like wet brakes. It is not at high speeds but only when slowly stopping. Its getting worse day by day so I pulled the abs fuse and the problem went away immediately, so i am narrowing the problem down to the speed sensors. Is there a certain angle the sensors should sit and is there a certain distance they should be from contacting the gear looking thing on the back of the rotor. Also the other set of Aim spindles I have were machined wrong where the sensor is to be installed. Has anyone with lift spindles ever experienced anything like this? Any advice would be helpful.

Old 10-12-2001, 05:11 PM
I have Fabtech spindles and I know my sensors are pretty close to the target wheel on my rotors but not touching, maybe an 1/8th of an inch or less. Drive with your windows down and listen to see it the sensors are actually touching when you drive. Maybe you need to "preload" the sensors away or toward the target wheel while you tighten them up and see if it helps. Are your wheel bearings correctly tightened, maybe a loose rotor might be touching the sensor with weight on the truck.
In any case, many people claim how good a company and their products are when they had no complaints. Well this is a good test, call them and see how they help with customer service "after the sale".
Probably a good idea to leave that fuse out until this is resolved. You wouldn't want to rear end anyone just because your ABS thought you should take a little longer to stop.....

Old 10-17-2001, 01:14 AM
Well i have tried just about everything to make the sensors sit correctly around the target wheel, but nothing is working. They look like their in the right spot but it just is not working. Has anyone lifted a supercrew or f150 and had the abs sensors on their truck at all.. I think my only solution is to go back to the stock suspension. Also i contacted AIM but they only left me hanging and wont even exchange the spindles. NOT A CREDITABLE COMPANY.

Old 10-18-2001, 02:10 PM
I had the same problem with my ABS when I had a 5 inch Superlift installed. When braking from about 30 mph nothing would happen until I got down to about 7 mph then the left ABS would start going off. I ended up bringing it to a Ford dealership and they changed my speed sensors for $400 and there hasn't been a problem since then.

Old 10-19-2001, 10:22 PM
Twerner,
Just curious why your sensors needed to be changed after the lift? Did the dealer tell you why? Also, they only run about 40 bucks each, why so much for the repair?

Old 10-23-2001, 02:07 AM
G Patricio,
The Ford dealership said that they had seen this happen before on different vehicles (not necessarily after a lift). They said it was the speed sensors so I let install new ones. I didn't know how much the speed sensors cost and after labor the bill was $400 dollars.

Quick Reply: Problems with my lift spindles