Leveling kit question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit question

I purchased an 08 FX4 because I wanted a truck, not because I wanted to go off roading. The truck came with rancho all the way around and they are corroding all the way around. Think the truck plowed snow. Anyway, I want to know if I should replace with rancho or bilstein or if that is overkill for a truck whose biggest obstacle is an occasional pot hole.

Appreciate your advice. Also, the front struts are the rancho quick lift. I can unlift it by just putting normal struts on correct?

Last edited by Zach Dennis; 12-11-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Any idea on the age of them? Maybe be original shocks and due for a replacement.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM
No sorry. Purchased the vehicle with 103k. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me that Ford put rancho on their trucks OEM. There’s a lot of rebound in the truck when going over speed bumps. Just figured it was time to replace.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Talking

So most likely OE shocks, what ever you go with save the receipt. Most companies offer a warranty on their shock.
Any shock I would hit with a clear coat or Fluid Film, it is just added protection.
If you want a framer ride look to a monotube like our RS7000MT, a "softer" ride and a level? Our quickLIFT LOADED is nice and adjustable.

Originally Posted by Zach Dennis
No sorry. Purchased the vehicle with 103k. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me that Ford put rancho on their trucks OEM. There’s a lot of rebound in the truck when going over speed bumps. Just figured it was time to replace.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Ok so you got me curious so I went out and took a look under the truck. Turns out I currently have the rancho adjustable struts up front and the rs9000 shocks in the back. These are not stock correct? Quite a bit of corrosion on all 4. Is this just cosmetic or is it a sign of failure to come, if not already? All four seemed to be adjusted middle of the road on the dial. I moved them all as counterclockwise as possible is the hopes of softening the ride. Is this the correct thinking?

Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Not stock if they are adjustable.
Corrosion will occur on any shock if nasty road salt/ mag chloride is applied.
Most likely cosmetic, if they are holes through it,, then function will be effected.
Totally counter clockwise is the softest.

Originally Posted by Zach Dennis
Ok so you got me curious so I went out and took a look under the truck. Turns out I currently have the rancho adjustable struts up front and the rs9000 shocks in the back. These are not stock correct? Quite a bit of corrosion on all 4. Is this just cosmetic or is it a sign of failure to come, if not already? All four seemed to be adjusted middle of the road on the dial. I moved them all as counterclockwise as possible is the hopes of softening the ride. Is this the correct thinking?

Quick Reply: Leveling kit question