F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension-28/)
-   -   Leveling kit question (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension/516427-leveling-kit-question.html)

Zach Dennis 12-11-2017 04:07 PM

Leveling kit question

I purchased an 08 FX4 because I wanted a truck, not because I wanted to go off roading. The truck came with rancho all the way around and they are corroding all the way around. Think the truck plowed snow. Anyway, I want to know if I should replace with rancho or bilstein or if that is overkill for a truck whose biggest obstacle is an occasional pot hole.

Appreciate your advice. Also, the front struts are the rancho quick lift. I can unlift it by just putting normal struts on correct?

Rancho Shocks 12-11-2017 05:09 PM

Any idea on the age of them? Maybe be original shocks and due for a replacement.

Zach Dennis 12-11-2017 05:48 PM

No sorry. Purchased the vehicle with 103k. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me that Ford put rancho on their trucks OEM. There’s a lot of rebound in the truck when going over speed bumps. Just figured it was time to replace.

Rancho Shocks 12-11-2017 07:23 PM

So most likely OE shocks, what ever you go with save the receipt. Most companies offer a warranty on their shock.
Any shock I would hit with a clear coat or Fluid Film, it is just added protection.
If you want a framer ride look to a monotube like our RS7000MT, a "softer" ride and a level? Our quickLIFT LOADED is nice and adjustable.

:beers:

Originally Posted by Zach Dennis (Post 5227792)
No sorry. Purchased the vehicle with 103k. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me that Ford put rancho on their trucks OEM. There’s a lot of rebound in the truck when going over speed bumps. Just figured it was time to replace.

Zach Dennis 12-11-2017 07:50 PM

Ok so you got me curious so I went out and took a look under the truck. Turns out I currently have the rancho adjustable struts up front and the rs9000 shocks in the back. These are not stock correct? Quite a bit of corrosion on all 4. Is this just cosmetic or is it a sign of failure to come, if not already? All four seemed to be adjusted middle of the road on the dial. I moved them all as counterclockwise as possible is the hopes of softening the ride. Is this the correct thinking?

Rancho Shocks 12-12-2017 11:55 AM

Not stock if they are adjustable.
Corrosion will occur on any shock if nasty road salt/ mag chloride is applied.
Most likely cosmetic, if they are holes through it,, then function will be effected.
Totally counter clockwise is the softest. :)

Originally Posted by Zach Dennis (Post 5227803)
Ok so you got me curious so I went out and took a look under the truck. Turns out I currently have the rancho adjustable struts up front and the rs9000 shocks in the back. These are not stock correct? Quite a bit of corrosion on all 4. Is this just cosmetic or is it a sign of failure to come, if not already? All four seemed to be adjusted middle of the road on the dial. I moved them all as counterclockwise as possible is the hopes of softening the ride. Is this the correct thinking?