5100 Install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5100 Install question

So, after 130k+ miles, it's time for new suspension. I will probably tackle the upper control arms, outer tie rods, and lower ball joints another time, as that would be another $400 that I save for and do next year. Not worried about the labor since its my time.

I have ordered the Bilsteins all the way around, and as many others I also wish they had an all in one for the front, but I don't want to beat that dead horse.

I have already installed the rears, that was fine and dandy. I had to get creative with a ratcheting tie strap to get the shocks to compress, but its in.

Now, the fronts, I was not looking forward to swapping out the shocks just for the parts, as I was replacing the springs also, all I needed was the extra parts. So, I chatted with Moog and the chat person said I needed K80218 since I do not have off road suspension.

I have a 2006 F150 Lariat 4x4 Screw.

Moog Coil Spring 81120
Moog Strut Mount K80218
Bilstein Front Leveler Shock 24-122986

My question is, if I purchase the K80218 install kit, will this along with the Bilstein 5100 shock and Moog spring make my setup complete? Will I need anything else from the old coilover? I mean besides the mounting bolt and nut on the bottom, the install kit comes with new upper shock nuts.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you are planning on doing this yourself? Should be no problem for the suspension parts.. I would suggest that for the strut assembly, unless you have one of those fancy wall mount spring compressors, take out the struts yourself, but take it into a shop that has one and have them swap out the spring for you..

I did do mine myself with those clamp on screw type of compressors and while they did work... It scared the crap out of me doing it... I had to torque down on them so hard, it was all my wimpy air impact could do to compress them, just enough... If I have to do it again, I'll take them into a shop...

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF150
I would suggest that for the strut assembly, unless you have one of those fancy wall mount spring compressors, take out the struts yourself, but take it into a shop that has one and have them swap out the spring for you..
X2 - Those springs are a pain and scary as hell without the proper equipment.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the springs on my 2009 with 4 compressors on each spring. They are strong. If you only have two compressors, I would recommend a couple of ratchet straps as well to provide some extra safety.

I also needed to reuse the lower spring perch on my 2009 which doesn't seem to be part of the moog kit. I think you'll need to disassemble the original strut to get all the parts required.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here is one to see what you guys think about leveling shocks. I have Bilstein 5100s set on the third highest setting and noticed that the right side sit 1 in" taller than the left when you measure ground to top of fender. Just talked to a very good alignment shop and he said with the Bilsteins you need to compensate for the weight of the gas tank and make the left side one setting taller. Anyone else with Bilsteins want to go measure theirs to see if that is the case for them?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is 39" on the passenger side and 39.25" on the drivers side. Never noticed it before.

I've got mine set to the 3rd ring (1.5") on both sides.

Good luck!

Mitch