2002 F150 front end popping/squealing

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 front end popping/squealing

Hi all, looking for some help. I've got a 2002 F150 4.6 Triton with 140k miles. Daily driver/family truckster.

Earlier this year I noticed some mild "popping" noises in the front end when going over speed bumps and noticed the insides of the front tires were wearing. Before heading out on a family vacation I took it into a local tire shop for alignment and was told the idler arm needed replacing. Replaced that, rotated tires, and had alignment done. Popping seemed to subside for about 150 miles and then came back. Now, I've got some serious squealing any time I make an abrupt turn as well as what sounds like front tire scrub. No obvious signs of a tire rub but it sure SOUNDS like it. Front tires (remember they were rotated) are now wearing along the inside as well. Also hearing some grinding when brakes are applied...sounds similar to rotor grinding and I can feel *something* in the pedal when braking.

Trying to get my husband to look at it has become an act of congress...so I'm hoping you all can provide some direction short of taking it to the Ford dealer and being looked at like an idiot!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The tie rod ends, ball joints, and sway bar bushings need to be checked for wear. Additionally the wheel bearings should be checked. My truck is a 2002 4x4 and I had to replace the front bearing hubs, idler arm, all 4 tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and the sway bar bushings at about the same mileage as your truck.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:06 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Take it to a good independent shop that does front ends and alignments.