Need strut replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need strut replacement advice

Hello everyone, I have an 09 king ranch sc 4x4 with 6.5 foot bed. Truck has 147,000 on it and it's time for suspension replacement. I have already bought new KYB gas adjust shocks for the back. They came in last Wednesday. Now I need strut advice. I have it narrowed down to the KYB GR2 complete strut, or the Rancho quick lift loaded strut. I know the ranchos say they will lift 2 inches. When I measured my truck, there is 1.5 inches rake between the front and back. I don't really want a nose high stance, and I do occasionally tow and haul things. The ranchos also have 9 position adjustable dampening. That's a plus. I have also looked at the kyb gas adjust strut cartridge, but once I buy all the replacement pieces, it's more expensive than the two other struts I have listed. Both of the above shuts are around $159 at Rock auto. I appreciate the input everyone. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I decided on bilstein 5100s for the fronts. I will have to take the old struts apart, but I can atleast choose which height I want. Got them for $104 a piece and ordered new top strut bearing and upper a-arms. That should work great I think. Now to put them on.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bilstein 5100 problems

Originally Posted by bobcat54s
Well, I decided on bilstein 5100s for the fronts. I will have to take the old struts apart, but I can atleast choose which height I want. Got them for $104 a piece and ordered new top strut bearing and upper a-arms. That should work great I think. Now to put them on.
I too had chose the Bilstein 5100 but ran into a major problem. I had the dreaded 'broken coilspring issue' - second one but different side. Decided it was a good time to level the rake out of the truck by installing leveling struts along with the new coils. Ordered new factory-spec Moog replacement springs and the correct Bilstein 5100 shocks online. Didn't have time to do the job myself so took everything to my very competent shop guy. He called me exasperated-saying that even if he compressed the coils fully to where the coils where touching - the shocks were still an inch too short! He even ordered in another set of springs - same problem. Said he might be able to get them to fit but only on the lowest setting but knew that wasn't what I wanted. He was frustrated because he's put these on other trucks before.I called Bilstein tech and they couldn't explain it either. I verified the correct part number with them, maybe I received a mislabeled part? Ended up driving three hours to get a set of Rancho Loaded Quick-Lift struts just so I could get my truck back on the road. Cost was double, but so far I am very pleased with the results. Now to try and return my parts to the online vendor!? Anybody else have this experience?

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Need strut replacement advice