Need to vastly improve on road suspension quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to vastly improve on road suspension quality

In short I have a 2011 5.0 FX4 f150. It has 26k miles and I have already replaced one read shock under warranty. I have an AS2.5 front spacer and their 3" block in the back adding 1.75" of lift to the rear. This didnt change the ride too much at all. Then I added Fuel 20" wheels (replacing stock 20s) and some 285/60R20 Good Year LT Duratracs which make the truck ride like total crap. And ohio roads are awful these days.

I feel every bump in the road, holes feel like they shatter something each time. I am hoping I can cure this with some aftermarket struts/shocks or coil overs. I hope to maintain my 2.5" of lift up front and 1.75 plus in the back but I dont care if I keep or lose the spacer to do so. I am looking for the best shock or coilover setup for my scenario.

I am primarily looking for superior road quality ride. I do haul with the truck frequently either in the bed or I have a dual axle 18' flat bed that hauls a mid size kubota with loader. The truck see's very light trails during deer season and back roads (gravel, chip and seal). It will never see any massive off roading, articulation limits, etc. I want to drive down the road and not feel every little thing and not have my truck feel like it almost hops off the road when the pavement switches to a bridge. Like every man budget is in my head but I wont hesitate to drop a grand to solve this. 2 grand might be out of the question.

What setup is best recommended for my search? Thanks all.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
How many miles are on the truck? Have you looked at ball joints and checked them for play?

I realize LT tires ride stiff, but it shouldn't be super rough

Old 04-04-2015, 03:29 PM
for you the best ride quality will come from your tires not so much you shocks. unfortunately your tires are e-rated 33s on 20" wheels so thats just going to be stiff regardless of what you do. and given that your unsprung wight jumped up a bit, your OEM shocks are more than useless now in maintaining any level of moderate ride control & quality.

it most cases people would just say get Bilstiens and be done with it. But given what you're looking to accomplish, you might be better off getting a better twin-tube that holds a lot more fluid, OME shocks comes to mind.

most monotube shocks on the market today will firm up your driving characteristics. now based on what you mentioned not sure if you want to go there.

I've been through more shocks, wheels and tires than i care to mention here, but for me, the best wheel/tire/shock combo for max ride comfort and improved off-road characteristics is a 17" wheel, 6 ply AT 35" tire, and Fox 2.0 shocks.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
How many miles are on the truck? Have you looked at ball joints and checked them for play?

I realize LT tires ride stiff, but it shouldn't be super rough

26k miles Only 1k on new tires

So what we are saying is, even if I go throw a grand worth of Fox, Boss, Icon coilovers on here it is still going to ride like crap cause of the Good Year tire?

If so, is there any tire in the 285 60 or 295 60 R20 range that are not going to ride like this?

Last edited by solar07; 04-04-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Need to vastly improve on road suspension quality