Leaf spring shackles rusted through...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf spring shackles rusted through...

Noticed a significant reduction in my 2002 XLT Screw's ride quality, but i've been really overloaded at work recently and I added it to my mental "to do" list for the truck. Well today I snuck underneath and took a look and found that the rear shackles on both leaf springs were completely rusted (read, disintegrated) through and the rear end of each leaf spring is now freely supporting the truck via the underside of the bed. I'd take a picture, but its really late. So, i'm looking online for replacements and wondering if all of these aftermarket shackles will work, or if i need to match the originals?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/eibach-pro-...8911y2002g55j1 <--- the description for these make them sound like they're for lowering the truck?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ground-forc...8911y2002g55j1 <--- these work?

I also noticed the axleshaft oil seals are puking oil everywhere now and they werent the last time I looked. I can only assume the barely-held-together leaf springs are the culprit. I'll have to replace the seals (and maybe the bearings as well?) when I get a chance. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

2002 Ford F150 XLT 4.6L 4x4 Screw

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
After a bit of late night internet research, I'm not sure if its the shackle or the perch itself that broke... I guess if its the perch it's going to be a bit more complicated. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Sorry for quality, had to use my phone. The bed seems to be doing a good job of supporting the weight of the truck, lol. Its the shackle that rusted through, not the perch. So my original question of which parts to use still stands. Also, how am I going to pull that leaf spring down enough to secure it to the perch?

Name:  leaf.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  179.7 KB

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Where u at? I took off mine and can have them for $20.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Suspended
Them Are drop shackles Go on ebay you can find stock ones or same size as stock ones. Or look at rock auto for some stock ones.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Suspended
As for the axle seals leaking. The shackles braking have nothing to do with that but the seals just are worn. Why not change the axle bearings while your at it. your gonna need a bearing puller for those.

Quick Reply: Leaf spring shackles rusted through...