Steering Stabilizers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizers...

So I've managed to level my truck using the AutoSpring 2" kit and installed a set of ProComp 35x12.5x17 MT's on my OEM rims for a little under $275! Looks awesome and Off-road capability has improved significantly.

As I anticipated, my overall on and off road steering performance has been degraded. Lots of wobble on the highway and off-road bump steer is annoying. Ball joints are good, not coming from that so Im looking into steering stabilizers for help.

I did see the How-to section on the fabtech install. Although his set up is very different than mine with aftermarket rims and what looks like a suspension lift..when i went to research that one the kit says it can not be ran with OEM rims. I dont understand why since it doesnt look like there would be any clearence issues, If that is the problem..

So has anyone installed single or dual steering stabilizers with OEM rims and stock lift? Any good brand/kit suggestions or ideas?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 PM
After the front lift did you get a front end alignment?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Suspended
OEM rims don't fit on a fabtech lift, steering stabilizer should not matter.

You should not need a steering stabilizer w/ 35's though. Really if everything is in good shape you should never need one.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Yep alignment was done and all 4 tires balanced when they were mounted. Maybe the alignment wasnt done right?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OhFourFX4
Yep alignment was done and all 4 tires balanced when they were mounted. Maybe the alignment wasnt done right?
Could be.

Also, the shock nuts could be too tight. Top nuts.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
oem rims don't fit on a fabtech lift, steering stabilizer should not matter.

You should not need a steering stabilizer w/ 35's though. Really if everything is in good shape you should never need one.
this.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Lifted vehicles have the acute steering angle to compound the problem along with greater tire weight to store more energy. This is the aspect of DW that most people overlook, the storage and release of energy during the DW vibration. When the energy stored exceeds the friction dampening of the loose steering component the released energy impacts the steering wheel (you feel it wobble).
A stabilizer should be used to dampen and reduce the vibration energy (convert it into heat). Again, the lifted vehicle usually results in a steep steering stabilizer mount angle that reduces the effect of the stabilizer damper. Keeping the stabilizer level (in-line with the DW vibration) will help a DW problem. This is not the fix if other components are loose, but a solution aid if the components are good. Another element is the stiffness of the tie rods and drag link. Heavier parts that provide more resistance to vibration bending help reduce the DW.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizers...